WEDNESDAY 05 DECEMBER, 2012 |
Solar Power Australia 2011-12 Report Highlights
The Clean Energy Council has released its Solar Power Australia 2011-12 report,
which states solar panel installations now represent 3.2% of all current
electricity generation capacity in Australia.
The CEC report describes 2011 as "prophetic in terms of the industry’s impact on where Australia’s electricity industry is headed."
Other key points from the report:
- 859MW of PV was installed in 2011 - more than double 2010.
- Total cumulative installed capacity reached 1.29GW at the end of last year.
- 2012 year-to-date installations exceeded 450MW in August.
- Residential sales continue to dominate installations, capturing more
than 95% of the market.
- Solar panels are likely to account for 5% of Australia's hourly generation capacity
at certain times.
- Australia's Bureau of Resources and Energy Economics (BREE) has stated solar PV is likely to have the
of all wholesale energy
generation technologies by 2030.
- Approximately 17% of suitable house rooftops in Australia have solar panels
- Industry investments reached almost $5B in 2011.
- An estimated 15,550 people were directly and indirectly employed in the PV industry
The report reiterates the busting of the solar
is for the rich myth
. Over half of system buyers earn less than $100,000
annually and more than a quarter earned less than $65,000 per annum.
While the report recognises the high exchange rate has benefited solar retailers and consumers in terms of cheap
and associated components, it warns this situation could quickly change. Such a
scenario isn't without precedent - for a good part of 2009, a crash in the value
of the Australian dollar saw prices for solar
rise dramatically, overwhelming cost savings through manufacturing
The Clean Energy Council's Solar Power Australia 2011-12 report, compiled by Solar Business Services and
SunWiz, is available
to CEC members.
Other news for Wednesday 05 December, 2012
Return to main renewable energy news section
Other Energy Matters News Services