We’re feeling the bite of winter in Australia; there’s no doubt about that. From waking up in the morning and creeping across the cold floors, reaching for the heater remote just in time to slip into the kitchen and make a coffee, through to layering up on ten jackets at a time. Yes, this is the good, old chill that we’re used to after blistering summer heat.
But with the change of season comes forgotten outcomes, such as increases in household expenses. Combine that with the impact of COVID-19 lockdowns forcing us to stay indoors and ramp up our utility bills, and suddenly the cost of living is a little higher than usual.
Within this category is the rise of energy prices, as of July 1, 2020, saw expected update rollouts. Financial hardship has already been prominent across Australia, as homeowners continue to try and make ends meet after the economic downturn.
Since we’re all spending a little more than usual at home, higher energy bills come as no surprise. Here’s what you can expect.
July 1 energy price changes: what you need to know
Several retailers have noted changes in their prices, with a few announcing decreases*. This includes Origin Energy, who has rolled out four to five per cent price cuts for electricity in SA, while NSW and ACT can take advantage of 0.6 – 0.7 per cent.
Other providers – like AGL – aren’t offering reductions, with SA, NSW, QLD seeing 0 per cent decreases. Adding to this, several other providers are offering significant discounts, results in a need for consumers to double-check their latest bills as soon as possible. Source
However, half the challenge is figuring out exactly what decrease you can expect on your locality’s specific rates. To combat this issue, we’ve introduced an energy comparison tool that outlines what you can expect in the way of best deals in your area from our panel of retailers, as well as the finer print involved – and with the ability to immediately switch in under 5 minutes, all via your handheld device or computer.
We highly recommend utilising this feature to stop paying unnecessary fees on your future bills, especially as these July 1 changes continue to establish themselves across the industry and new deals are being offered.
Are you in the 20 per cent of Aussies living on the lowest rates?
Did you know only one in five Australians reassess their energy plans every year? Skipping out on checking whether your rates have changed could mean you’re paying far too much, especially as retailers often roll out updates without publicising them.
To help you find out whether you’re in the safe zone, check your rates HERE. You don’t have to deal with a middle-man or salesman when using our comparator and you will be presented with the best offers in your area from our panel of retailers. Just put in your current address (and energy usage details from your bill, if you have them, for a more accurate recommendation).
Adding to your potential savings, we are currently offering an exclusive GIFT – those who undergo a free Energy Health Check and successfully transfer their plan over to a new retailer HERE will benefit from an additional $50 eGift card*
*Gift card Terms & Conditions:
• You will receive $25 eGift Voucher when you switch your electricity, via the OFFER LINK only
• You will receive $25 eGift Voucher when you switch your gas, via the OFFER LINK only
• Energy Matters is undertaking this offer on behalf of its panel of retailers
• Offer valid from 29 July 2020, for a LIMITED time only, until the offer is withdrawn by Energy Matters
• To be eligible to receive the eGift Voucher you must signup up through Energy Matters’ OFFER LINK only and have successfully switched your energy supplier via Energy Matters
• This offer is available to new and existing AGL, Origin, Energy Australia, Power Direct and Simply Energy residential customers who switch online via Energy Matters (not via our Customer Service Operators)
• This offer is available to new 1stEnergy, Tango Power, Powershop, Alinta Energy, Momentum Energy, Sumo, Energy Locals, Dodo Power & Gas, and Ovo Energy residential customers who switch online via Energy Matters (not via our Customer Service Operators)
• You must be aged 18 or over. Energy Matters may request you to provide a copy of your valid ID for identification purpose
• Not available in Ergon Area (QLD) and embedded networks or non-quotable meters
• Eligible Recipients will receive eGift Voucher by email in up to 120 days after successfully switching your energy
• In case the switch or connect is cancelled within the first 90 days the transaction would be deemed invalid
• If a customer has received or is eligible for any other Gift Card/Voucher promo from Energy Matters in last 90 days, he/she will not be eligible for this offer