On This Page
Goulburn NSW is one of the ideal places to set up solar power due to the fair share of sunshine it receives. In fact, thousands of homes and businesses are already taking advantage of solar energy; therefore, it’s worth considering for your home or business.
Around 12 per cent of households in Goulburn have solar panels installed on their roofs. The area gets an average of 4.8 hours of peak sun per day throughout the year.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Goulburn*
Total Installed Capacity in Goulburn (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Goulburn, NSW
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Gouldburn, NSW by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Choosing the right solar panels for your property in Goulburn
The solar panels your solar installer selects will be chosen based on your personal preference, energy needs, and budget. Most solar installers will use their preferred solar panel manufacturer, which is why getting multiple quotes is important if the brand of solar panel is an important factor for you.
Energy Matters recommends that you select Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers for your solar panels. Tier 1 manufacturers produce solar panels of a higher quality and they will be more likely to honour their manufacturer’s warranty compared to lower-tiered manufacturers. Every year, Bloomberg New Energy Finance releases their Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list.
In addition, Energy Matters has partnered with trusted solar panel manufacturers that we are proud to recommend to our customers. These recommended manufacturers are:
Whether you know which panels you want to install on your home or business, or you’d rather discuss your options, we recommend that you begin your solar journey by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation solar quotes. Our network of trusted, local installers will provide personalised quotes for a system that will meet your current and future needs.
The good news is that solar panel prices have reduced significantly over the last 10 years. When determining the number of solar panels you need to install for your Goulburn property, you should consider your roof and the amount your local electricity network will allow you to install.
For most homes in NSW, the solar system size is 6.6 kW of panels with a 5 kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
Additionally, if you use a lot of electricity, or you are thinking of adding an electric vehicle or battery to the property in the coming years, consider installing a bigger solar system.
As previously stated, your solar installer will factor in your current and future needs. We also recommend sizing up, where possible. Your future electricity needs will undoubtedly increase with electrification and a move to Electric Vehicles. Adding solar panels, or completely upgrading your solar PV system in the future, are expenses you wish to avoid. For this reason, sizing up is recommended.
Solar rebates and incentives in Goulburn
The most common system installed in 2021 was a 6.6kW solar panel system, with a price range between $6,000 and $8,500 for a high-quality system.
In turn, this can deliver savings between $1,200 and $2,000, but it could be more, depending on the amount of electricity you use and when you use it. The payback periods also vary based on usage habits and other factors, such as location, roof orientation and tilt.
Solar panels also have become more affordable in the past few years, and the costs are expected to go down.
Goulburn residents also have access to two solar incentives, such as the Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs) or the policy, Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs).
These can help you save thousands of dollars throughout the life of your Goulburn solar system.
The right solar PV system for your home in Goulburn
When choosing the right solar PV system in Goulburn, it all depends on your energy requirements. There are various Goulburn solar systems you can choose from.
A good rule of thumb is to take the maximum estimate to ensure you generate enough electricity for your home. For example, a 6.6kW solar system can service most average-sized homes.
Larger homes may require a 10kW system or more, and commercial properties a 30kW solar system or greater, to generate large amounts of solar power.
An Electric Vehicle will also dictate the size of the system you need, as you will likely need a larger system.
Your local installer will recommend a system size that suits your daytime electricity needs.
Solar panel installation in Goulburn
Before solar panel installation, there are several things to consider:
- Roof condition: The roof must be in good shape. If a renovation or repair is necessary, it must be done before solar panels are installed.
- Roof angle: The angle of the roof also plays a significant role in solar panel efficiency. How the roof is tilted can determine the performance of the solar system. Ideally, the tilt of the panels must be at the same angle as the latitude to ensure that are well-optimised.
- The amount of energy: How much energy do you need? Determine the amount of energy you consume every month before you have solar panels installed. Keep in mind, that there’s no one-size-fits-all solution here because every household operates differently. Therefore, the energy you consume may be different from your neighbour. When you have a clear idea of the amount of energy you consume monthly, you can better decide on the number of solar panels you need to sustain the amount of energy you should generate on your property.
- Installation costs: There are many solar energy companies in Goulbourn today. The installation cost may be your biggest expense when you switch to solar energy.
You can use our free electricity bill comparison tool to compare local offers from Australia’s major energy retailers and help you make the switch in a few quick steps. All you need to get started is a recent energy bill.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Goulburn, NSW
The NSW Government has made EVs more affordable by reducing the upfront cost for the first 25,000 eligible EVs sold. They are offering $3,000 rebates for the first 25,000 new battery electric and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles with a dutiable value of less than $68,750. This incentive, combined with the abolition of stamp duty, will save consumers up to $5,540 and boost EV sales in the state to more than 50 per cent by 2030 to 2031.
With more EV models to be launched, there is now a growing number of Aussies that are taking EV ownership more seriously. Here are the benefits you can get out of an EV:
- Lower costs: When it comes to EVs, you can look forward to lower running costs because they are much simpler to maintain and the ‘fuel’ is a lot cheaper.
- Meet the country’s emissions target: The country is committed to reaching net zero by 2050. Along with solar energy, EVs will play a crucial role in achieving this goal as transport accounts for 18 per cent of the total greenhouse emissions, of which 85 per cent comes from vehicles.
- More economic opportunities: EV batteries are mainly made of lithium and, unbeknownst to some, Australia is the biggest exporter of lithium globally. The amount of lithium mined and exported in the country is double that of Chile, which is the nearest competitor of the country.
Looking to purchase an EV? Book a test-drive today!
The return on investment of Goulburn solar panels
For a mid-range home in Goulburn, the return on investment for your solar panels can take anywhere between two and six years. Your energy consumption is important, along with your usage pattern.
The more you consume solar, the more you get to save on your energy bills. To put it simply, you will reap the rewards of solar energy in the many years to come, which makes for a solid investment.
Can’t afford solar panels in Goulburn right now?
If you aren’t able to install solar panels in Goulburn, NSW, due to budget or other reasons, you can still get up to three obligation-free solar quotes from trusted solar installers in Goulburn. All quotes are free and include a full breakdown of how much it will cost to install solar.
Additionally, comparing quotes will help you find the best Goulburn solar installer for your property.