On This Page
An elegant inland town, Orange in NSW is captivating with its tree-lined streets, 20th-century homes, and expansive public parks. Right in the middle of agricultural land, the city is the dream for rural-living seekers. It has a temperate climate, but the winter can be bitterly cold.
Around 13 per cent of households in Orange, NSW, have solar panels installed on their roofs. The city gets an average of 4.8 hours of peak sun per day.
Central Tablelands region, where Orange is in, has 6,503 solar PV panels installed with a collective capacity of 41,809 kW.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Orange*
Total Installed Capacity in Orange (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Orange, NSW
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Orange, NSW by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Orange
Your energy needs, preference, and budget are the three most important things to consider when looking for Orange solar panels, NSW. If you’re particular with the brand of solar panels, keep in mind that solar installers in Orange usually have preferred solar manufacturers. This is why it’s important to gather multiple quotes from various installers.
Here at Energy Matters, we recommend you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers. These are manufacturers who are financially stable that can honour warranties and provide higher quality solar panels in Orange, NSW.
You can refer to the Bloomberg New Energy Finance list of Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturers released yearly.
The costs of solar panels in Orange, NSW and across the country have reduced significantly, and the costs are expected to go down even more.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
Another thing to consider to find the right solar panel size for your home in Orange, NSW is the size. To get the best size, you need to consider your roof and the amount of energy your local electricity network is allowable.
For most homes in NSW, the right solar system size is 6.6 kW with a 5 kW inverter. Furthermore, suppose you consume a lot more energy, or you plan to get an Electric Vehicle (EV) or a solar battery, then it makes more sense to get a bigger solar system for your Orange home.
As much as possible, size up if you can. This will help you be more prepared for the impending boost of electrification that will dominate the country. Sizing up now also means you get to save more money in the future.
Solar rebates and incentives in Orange, NSW
The NSW Government is encouraging residents to switch to solar, and one way they’re doing this is to make solar panels affordable. Orange residents can access solar rebates and incentives to save more money and gain a significant return on investment in a few years’ time.
Additionally, there are Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs) and Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs) available for all Australians today.
Swap for solar
Low-income households in Orange can be eligible for the Swap for Solar. This will help reduce energy bills by letting homeowners in Orangeswap their Low-Income Household Rebate for a 3kW solar system, including the installation, at zero cost.
Rebate swap for energy upgrades
Orange households not eligible for a solar swap can get a rebate swap for energy upgrades. This will let homeowners get free home energy assessments for home appliance upgrades to $4,000.
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
All Australians with solar systems installed on their properties can get STCs. If you are in Orange, NSW, with a rooftop solar system, you can get STCs. The Australian federal government provides solar systems STCs to small businesses and households.
The value of an STC depends on its supply and demand in the market. Every solar PV system is assigned a specific number of STCs, and their total value will be deducted from the overall system value.
Feed-in Tariff (FiT)
FiT is paid by energy providers to homeowners when they export their excess energy into the grid. Your energy retailer is the one who will set the rate of your FiT.
The right solar system in Orange
Here are the other factors to consider to get the best solar system for your Orange, NSW home:
- Roof condition: How is your roof? Having your roof inspected before solar panels are installed is crucial. Make sure any repairs or renovations are done first.
- Roof angle: How your roof is angled is essential in solar panel efficiency. Ideally, the roof should be tilted at the same angle as the latitude of the home’s location.
- Energy consumption: One of the most effective ways to determine the solar system size right for your Orange home is to know the amount of energy you consume every month. Review your previous monthly energy bills to get a general idea of how much you consume.
- Surrounding shade: Trees, shrubbery, and structures that add shade to your roof can compromise the overall efficiency of your solar panels in Orange, NSW. If you can, trim down the trees or shrubbery. Your solar installer will also help find the right location to install the solar panels on your property.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Orange, NSW?
In Orange, a home solar battery storage will let homeowners store energy generated by the solar panels that they can use throughout the night or on overcast days. Whilst a solar storage battery isn’t the most affordable option today, it has a lot of benefits, such as :
- Energy independence: The electric grid is unstable, and there is also an increase in electricity rates. Hence, solar battery storage will help reduce your reliance on the grid as it can make your home fully self-sufficient.
- Blackout protection: Blackouts in Orange are rare, but when they happen, they can be inconvenient. The Tesla Powerwall is among the many batteries today that can power your house whilst your street doesn’t have power. Solar panels in Orange, they will continue to charge your battery throughout the day, which you can use throughout the night.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can see you saving even more money. It will allow you to receive credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back to the grid.
Fortunately, there are many brands and types of solar batteries you can get in Orange.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Orange
EVs are increasingly becoming more affordable in NSW today. The NSW Government is reducing the upfront costs for the first 25,000 eligible EVs sold by offering $3,000 rebates. However, the EV should have a dutiable value of less than $68,750; combined with the abolition of stamp duty, m this will help save consumers same up to $5,540.
Here are the benefits of EVs that you can experience:
- Lower costs: EVs are more affordable to run and maintain. Therefore, you get to save more money when you drive an EV.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia aims to reach net zero by 2050. You can be a part of this by switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Australia is the biggest lithium exporter in the world today, and EV batteries are primarily made of lithium. As a result, getting an EV is a great way to support the Australian lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Orange solar panels
A mid-range home in Orange can see a return on investment between two and six years. However, it is essential to consider your energy consumption and usage pattern.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free solar quote and find out what payment plan options are available.