Solar Frontier Panels To Power 11.6 MW Solar Farm

Solar Frontier CIS solar panels will be powering an 11.6 MW solar power station at Kansai International Airport, Japan.
SF Solar Power, a joint investment company consisting of Solar Frontier and Development Bank of Japan Inc. (DBJ) has been formed for the project, which will see 72,000 Solar Frontier CIS modules installed beside the airport’s B runway and on a cargo warehouse.
The two installations will generate approximately 12,000,000 kWh of electricity combined annually, enough to supply the power needs of 4,100 households.
Installation work is expected to start in the middle of this year, with a goal of commencing operations in January 2014.
After the project is completed, Solar Frontier, DBJ and Kansai International Airport will also work with other stakeholders to promote renewable energy, using Kansai International Airport as a model for environmentally advanced airports. 
Solar Frontier’s CIS (Copper, Indium, Selenium) technology provides the highest conversion efficiency in thin film modules and impressive performance under partial shading. Less complex production processes and fewer materials needed for manufacturing translates to an energy payback time of less than one year. Solar Frontier says their CIS modules require 60% less energy to produce than traditional crystalline silicon processes.
Solar Frontier’s CIS technology uses no cadmium, is lead-free, and has no special recycling requirements.
The modules have a temperature coefficient of 0.31%/K – much lower than many crystalline solar panels; making the modules a particularly good performer in high temperature conditions.
Solar Frontier has gigawatt-scale production facilities in Miyazaki, Japan.
Solar Frontier’s joint venture with DBJ was established in February to primarily invest in utility-scale solar projects throughout Japan, but also to support <2MW projects that often have trouble sourcing project finance. Solar Frontier is contributing 60% of the capital and DBJ the remaining 40%.