It is that time of the year again, where we swap out the winter uggs for the summer swimsuits – but it is also the same period that has us fall victim to major spikes in our electricity bills, mostly due to an increase in air conditioner usage.
But with change comes opportunity, so there’s never been a better time to assess your current electricity plan and ensure you’re prepared with the best deal possible.
Despite spikes, there will be a fall in 2020
It is essential to regularly check in with your retailer around the finer print, especially as there are some wild fluctuations expected in the latter end of 2020.
Queensland research institute Canstar Blue has compiled the list of providers across Australia, along with forecasts on whether you can expect to pay more or save money this spring and summer.
Starting with Queensland, Origin customers can expect an annual increase of 4.73 per cent if they are on the Max Saver – Online Special, while some Energy Locals and EnergyAustralia plans are also going to result in a hike.
But if you shop around, GloBird Energy will deliver a 10.36 per cent deduction on their GloSave plan while Mojo Power has also dropped their All Day Breakfast plan by 1.07 per cent for the state’s cheapest estimated annual bill of $1,112.
New South Wales customers can expect decreases across the board with Sumo dropping the most at 8.67 per cent while ReAmped Energy will drop 1.3 per cent to deliver the state’s annual lowest average of $1,060.
Simply Energy (4.64 per cent) and AGL’s Essentials Saver plan (6.26 per cent) will deliver price hikes in Victoria. In contrast, most other providers and plans are set to drop, Dodo providing the best deal at an estimated average cost of $1,216 – a drop of 4.25 per cent.
South Australians have been copping much higher prices than the rest of Australia recently, and that will be the case again in 2020. However, many providers have dropped their rates significantly including GloBird Energy’s GloSave plan (11.1 per cent), OVO Energy’s The One Plan (9.68 per cent) and Energy Locals’ Total Plan Home (9.82 per cent).
However, this is a lot of data to get your head around, and finding out if you’re on the best possible plan can be half the challenge. Instead of feeling the burden of discovering the truth behind your current rates, we recommend you opt for an energy health check through our easy online tool. Read on to find out how to jump into this must-have before the warmer seasons hit.
Electricity bill relief set to be the calm before the storm
While the news that energy prices are set to drop this year will come as a relief to many, they come saddled with the warning that they are likely to spike again in 2021.
As reported by Energy Matters, a perfect storm of downward drivers have combined to reduce prices in 2020, but as the economy recovers in 2021, prices are expected to start rising again.
To get ahead of predicted price rises and increases in energy use over the summer months, opt for an Energy Health Check – as previously mentioned – as soon as possible. Best of all, if you successfully transfer to a better plan we will give you a FREE $20 eGift voucher*. Get Snatch up this offer now before it’s too late.
- You will receive a $20 eGift Voucher per household when you switch your electricity, gas or both services, via the OFFER LINK only
- Energy Matters is undertaking this offer on behalf of its panel of retailers
- Offer valid from 25 September 2020, for a LIMITED time only, until the offer is withdrawn by Energy Matters
- To be eligible to receive the eGift Voucher you must signup up through Energy Matters’ OFFER LINK only and have successfully switched your energy supplier via Energy Matters
- This offer is available to new and existing AGL, Origin, Energy Australia, Power Direct and Simply Energy residential customers who switch online via Energy Matters (not via our Customer Service Operators)
- This offer is available to new 1stEnergy, Tango Power, Powershop, Alinta Energy, Momentum Energy, Sumo, Energy Locals, Dodo Power & Gas, and Ovo Energy residential customers who switch online via Energy Matters (not via our Customer Service Operators)
- You must be aged 18 or over. Energy Matters may request you to provide a copy of your valid ID for identification purpose
- Not available in Ergon Area (QLD) and embedded networks or non-quotable meters
- Eligible Recipients will receive eGift Voucher by email in up to 120 days after successfully switching your energy
- In case the switch or connect is cancelled within the first 90 days the transaction would be deemed invalid