On This Page
‘Beautiful one day, perfect the next’…
Brisbane, QLD lives up to this saying with its subtropical climate and beautiful natural surroundings ready to explore.
Brisbane is one of Australia’s favourite holiday destinations for these reasons, with many from the southern states migrating during their colder months. So if you live in Brisbane, you will be no stranger to the sunshine. It is for this reason that over 30 per cent of homes in Brisbane have rooftop solar panels installed. In fact, it is one of the highest rates in any capital city in Australia. The city gets approximately 5.2 hours of peak sun on average per day. If your home is yet to have solar installed, read on to find out how you can make the most from the free energy from the sun!
Average solar production in Brisbane, QLD
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Brisbane, QLD by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Brisbane
The solar panels your solar installer selects will be chosen based on your personal preference, energy needs, and budget. Most solar installers will use their preferred solar panel manufacturer, which is why getting multiple quotes is important if the brand of solar panel is an important factor for you.
Energy Matters recommends that you select Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers for your solar panels. Tier 1 manufacturers produce solar panels of a higher quality and they will be more likely to honour their manufacturer’s warranty compared to lower-tiered manufacturers. Every year, Bloomberg New Energy Finance releases their Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list.
In addition, Energy Matters has partnered with trusted solar panel manufacturers that we are proud to recommend to our customers. These recommended manufacturers are:
Whether you know which panels you want to install on your home or business, or you’d rather discuss your options, we recommend that you begin your solar journey by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. Our network of trusted, local installers will provide personalised quotes for a system that will meet your current and future needs.
The good news is that solar panel prices have reduced significantly over the last 10 years. When determining the number of solar panels you need to install for your Brisbane property, you should consider your roof and the amount your local electricity network will allow you to install.
For most homes in QLD, the solar system size is 6.6 kW of panels with a 5 kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
Additionally, if you use a lot of electricity, or you are thinking of adding an electric vehicle or battery to the property in the coming years, consider installing a bigger solar system.
As previously stated, your solar installer will factor in your current and future needs. We also recommend sizing up, where possible. Your future electricity needs will undoubtedly increase with electrification and a move to Electric Vehicles. Adding solar panels, or completely upgrading your solar PV system in the future, are expenses you wish to avoid. For this reason, sizing up is recommended.
Solar rebates and incentives in Brisbane
Small-scale Technology Certificate (STC)
Having solar panels in Brisbane entitle homeowners to several rebates and incentives. The Small-scale Technology Certificate (STC) is one. Homeowners who install Brisbane solar panels or a solar hot water system are eligible for STCs that can be sold on an open market or given to a solar installer in Brisbane to get a huge discount on your solar system.
The price per STC varies depending on the supply and demand. Additionally, the number of STCs you will get will depend on your system size and location.
Feed-in Tariff (FiT)
Another one is the Feed-in Tariff (FiT), which provides homeowners credit for every kWh of electricity that their solar system in Brisbane feeds back into the grid. The credit is applied by your energy retailer and you will see it as a discount off your electricity bill. There are some energy retailers that offer higher FiTs which is why it is important to compare energy retailers.
The QLD state government currently do not offer any rebates for solar. Stay up to date with solar rebates and incentives here.
The right solar system for your Brisbane home
When choosing the right solar system in Brisbane, you will need to consider a few factors, such as:
- Roof condition: Before you install solar panels in Brisbane, make sure your roof is in good shape. Any repairs or renovations should be completed prior to solar panel installation.
- Roof angle: How your roof is angled also plays a crucial role in how efficient your solar panels will be. Ideally, it should be tilted at the same angle equal to the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: How much energy do you consume every month? Determine this by looking into how much energy you consume every month.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property, or in your neighbour’s yard, may drastically reduce the efficiency of your system. Ensure that any trees that may pose a problem are trimmed back. Your solar installer will locate the best possible position for your panels and take into account shaded areas.
Your solar installer will design a system that best utilises your roofspace whilst taking into consideration your current and future energy needs.
We recommend seeking at least 3 solar quotes to ensure that you are getting the best deal and selecting a solar installer whom you can trust. Energy Matters has done most of the hard work for you! We have a nationwide network of trusted, local installers who are ready to contact you and provide a quote. Get up to 3 FREE quotes via our solar quote service.
Do You Need Solar Storage Battery in Brisbane?
With a home battery storage system you can store electricity generated by your solar panels in Brisbane. You can use this stored energy at night or on a cloudy day. While an expensive option, it is worth considering a solar battery for a number of reasons:
- Energy independence: With increasing electricity rates, and reduced reliability of the electrical grid, energy independence has never been as important or accessible. Solar battery storage reduces reliance on the grid – with many homes fully self-sufficient.
- Blackout protection: Blackouts, while uncommon in metro areas, can be disastrous – let alone inconvenient. Many solar batteries, such as the Tesla Powerwall, will power your house while the rest of your street is without power. Your solar panels will continue to charge your battery throughout the day for use through the night.
- Saves you money: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can see you saving even more money by receiving credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back to the grid.
There are many brands and types of solar batteries available in Brisbane. You can check out our recommended products here.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Brisbane, QLD
Owning an EV in Brisbane has become more affordable, thanks to the Queensland Government’s efforts. Queenslanders can now get up to a $3,000 rebate for EVs priced at less than $58,00. The Queensland Government also has plans to have at least 288 EVs in their government fleet this year.
Additionally, EVs and hybrids pay lower stamp duty than fuel-powered vehicles. In fact, EVs up to $100,000 pay two per cent duty while those over $100,000 pay four per cent duty.
Aside from these rebates, Queensland is also boosting the roll-out of EV charging infrastructure. They have pioneered EV chargers in Australia, with the Queensland Electric Super Highway that runs almost the full length of the coast, which is the longest intrastate network all over the world.
Currently, there are 10,000 EVs registered in Queensland, and the government’s $45 million EV strategy ensures that 100 per cent of eligible QLD government passenger vehicles are zero-emission by 2025. Moreover, the new TransLink-funded bus added to the fleet is a zero-emission bus from 2025 in South East Queensland, and across regional Queensland from 2025 to 2030.
With this, more EV models are being launched today, making it even more exciting. So, if you’re thinking of getting an EV, here are the benefits you can expect:
- Lower costs: Maintaining a fuel-powered vehicle can cost a lot of money. You don’t have to worry about that with EVs because of their lower running costs. Additionally, they are simpler to maintain.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia’s goal is to reach net zero by 2050. When you switch to EV, you can play an important role in achieving this goal.
- More economic opportunities: Australia is the largest exporter of lithium in the world, and EV batteries are mainly made of lithium. Your EV will help to maintain our lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment of Brisbane solar panels
With the continuous upward trend of energy bills, going solar seems like the best way to go in Brisbane. Also, with government’s support, it makes a lot of sense to switch to solar. However, many homeowners are still wondering about the return on investment.
Residential solar systems have become more affordable, and they will be even more affordable in the coming years. Additionally, with technological advancements, rooftop solar panels may require less roof space.
For a mid-range home, the return on investment is around two to six years. Still, it all depends on the consumption and usage pattern. Nonetheless, the more you consume solar, the more you save on energy bills.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.
Now is the right time to switch to Brisbane solar energy. We recommend seeking at least 3 solar quotes to ensure that you are getting the best deal and selecting the right solar installer in Brisbane whom you can trust. With this, you can guarantee a solar system in Brisbane that meets your energy needs.