On This Page
Broken Hill is the country’s first heritage-listed city. With its rich history and artistic community, Broken Hill in NSW will make you feel like you’re in the outback. Here you can find the oldest regional gallery in the state, the Broken Hill Regional Art Gallery, along with other galleries and studios.
Although remote compared to other areas in NSW, there are many things you can do in Broken Hill. From heritage buildings and art galleries, to the scorching temperatures, Broken Hill is truly an experience.
As Broken Hill is abundant in sunlight, so is solar energy. In fact, almost 28 per cent of households in the area already have rooftop solar panels installed.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Broken Hill*
Total Installed Capacity in Broken Hill (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Broken Hill, NSW
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Broken Hill, NSW by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Broken Hill
When finding the right Broken Hill solar panels, you need to consider your preferences, energy needs, and budget. However, suppose the solar panel brand is also a factor for you. In that case, it’s even more important to gather solar quotes from different installers before making your final decision.
This is because solar panel installers often have a preferred solar manufacturer. So, if the brand is very important for you, it is a good idea to get several solar quotes first.
Here at Energy Matters, we recommend you select Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers for your solar panels in Broken Hill, NSW. Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers are ranked by the Bloomberg New Energy Finance list that is released annually.
Tier 1 solar manufacturers are credible to honour solar warranties and usually provide higher quality solar PV panels today.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
Solar panels in Broken Hill, NSW, have reduced significantly over the last ten years. The costs are also expected to reduce even more in the coming years.
One of the most important things to determine is the size of your solar panels for your Broken Hill home. You can determine the right size for you by considering your roof and the amount of energy your local electricity network allows.
For most homes in NSW, the solar system size is 6.6 kW with a 5 kW inverter. Suppose you consume a lot of energy or plan to get an Electric Vehicle (EV) or solar battery on your Broken Hill property, you should get a bigger solar system as early as now.
As much as possible, size up. Electrification is coming, and it’s almost here. You can prepare now and save more money in the long run when you size up as early as now.
Solar rebates and incentives in Broken Hill, NSW
Solar panels are more affordable than ever, and the good news? Broken Hill residents have access to solar rebates and incentives that will help save more money.
Swap for solar
Low-income households in Broken Hill may be eligible for the Swap for Solar. The program helps reduce energy bills by letting homeowners swap their Low-Income Household Rebate for a 3kW solar system, including the installation, at zero cost.
Rebate swap for energy upgrades
Homeowners in Broken Hill who are not edible for a solar swap can still get a rebate swap for energy upgrades. This will allow them to get free home every assessment for home appliance upgrades up to $4,000.
Small-Scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
STCs are accessible to all Australians, and that includes Broken Hill homeowners. With solar panels installed on your property, you will get STCs.
The Australian federal government provides STCs to small businesses and households with renewable energy systems. Now, the value of an STC depends on its supply and demand in the market.
Keep in mind that every solar PV system is assigned a specific number of STCs, and its total values will be deducted from the total value of your solar system.
Feed-in Tariff (FiT)
FiTs are paid by energy providers to homeowners when they export their excess energy into the grid. This excess energy can then be used for other properties that need more electricity. Your energy retailer will set the rate of your FiT.
The right solar system in Broken Hill
There are other factors to consider when getting the best solar system for your Broken Hill property. Some of them are:
- Roof condition: Before installing solar panels on your rooftops, ensure the roof is in good condition. It’s essential to have a roof inspection done first to ensure no problems on the roof.
- Roof angle: The ideal roof angle to make the most out of your solar panels is titled at the same angle as the latitude of your property.
- Energy consumption: Knowing how much energy you usually consume will help you choose the right solar panels for you. Check your energy bills for the past months to gauge the average amount of your energy consumption.
- Surrounding shade: Shading on your property, such as trees, shrubbery, and other structures, may compromise the efficiency of your solar panels. Therefore, you might want to trim the trees and shrubbery or get rid of some structures. Additionally, your solar installer will also help you find the right location for your Broken Hill property.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Broken Hill, NSW?
In Broken Hill, a home solar battery storage will let homeowners store energy generated buy the solar panels that they can use throughout the night or on overcast days. Whilst a solar storage battery isn’t the most affordable option today, it has a lot of benefits, such as :
- Energy independence: The electric grid is unstable and there is also an increase in electricity rates. Hence, solar battery storage will help reduce your reliance on the grid as it can make your home fully self-sufficient.
- Blackout protection: Blackouts in Broken Hill are rare, but when they happen, they can be inconvenient. The Tesla Powerwall is among the many batteries today that can power your house whilst your street doesn’t have power. With solar panels in Broken Hill, they will continue to charge your battery throughout the day, which you can use throughout the night.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can see you saving even more money. It will allow you to receive credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back to the grid.
Fortunately, there are many brands and types of solar batteries you can get in Broken Hill.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Broken Hill
EVs are on the rise, and the NSW Government is making EVs more accessible to Broken Hill residents. Currently, the NSW Government is reducing the upfront cost for the first 25,000 eligible EVs sold by offering $3,000 rebates. However, to be eligible, the EV should have a dutiable value of less than $68,750. Paired with the abolition of stamp duty, it will save consumers up to $5,540.
Here are some of the excellent benefits you can get when you switch to EV:
- Lower costs: EVs are more affordable to run and maintain. With this, you get to save more money when you have an EV.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia is on a mission to reach net zero by 2050. You can be a part of this great mission by simply switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Australia is the largest lithium exporter in the world; EV batteries are primarily made of lithium. As a result, with an EV, you can better support the Australian lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Broken Hill solar panels
A mid-range home in Broken Hill can see a return on investment between two and six years. However, your energy consumption and usage pattern are important to consider as well.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.