On This Page
Located in Australia’s oldest wine region, Cessnock is the largest town with acclaimed wineries and countryside. It features a country charm with a laid-back vibe that makes it one of the best places to live in NSW.
There are around 13 per cent of households around Cessnock with solar panels installed on their roofs. The area receives 4.8 hours of peak sun per day.
The Hunter Region, where Cessnock is located, has 3,992 rooftop solar panels installed with a collective capacity of 23,636 kW.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Cessnock*
Total Installed Capacity in Cessnock (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Cessnock, NSW
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Cessnock, NSW by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Cessnock
There are three important things to consider to ensure you get the right solar panels for you:
- Your personal preference
- Energy needs
In case you have a preferred solar panel brand, you need to shop around. This is because solar panel installers in Cessnock, NSW, usually have their preferred solar manufacturer already. Therefore, it’s crucial to gather multiple quotes.
Here at Energy Matters, we recommend you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers for your solar panels in Cessnock, NSW. These manufacturers are the ones that are financially stable to honour warranties and provide higher quality solar panels.
Bloomberg New Energy Finance releases a Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list every year. So, you might want to check it out.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
Solar panels are becoming more affordable than ever, and the costs are expected to go down further. When choosing a Cessnock solar panel size for your home, you must first consider the amount of energy allowable by your local electricity network.
For most homes in NSW, the solar system size is 6.6 kW with a 5 kW inverter. However, if you consume a lot more energy than the average-sized homes or you have plans to add an Electric Vehicle (EV) or solar battery, then you need to consider a bigger solar system for your Cessnock property.
In fact, we recommend sizing up as much as possible. If you think about it, with the rapidly growing electrification, it only makes sense to size up. By doing so, you get to save more money in the long run.
Solar rebates and incentives in Cessnock, NSW
The NSW Government is making efforts to make solar more affordable to its residents. Cessnock residents have access to solar rebates and incentives. Additionally, Cessnock residents are also eligible to receive Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs) along with Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs).
Swap for solar
Low-income households in Cessnock can be eligible for the Swap for Solar. This will help reduce energy bills by letting homeowners in Cessnock swap their Low-Income Household Rebate for a 3kW solar system, including the installation, at zero cost.
Rebate swap for energy upgrades
Cessnock households not eligible for a solar swap can get a rebate swap for energy upgrades. This will let homeowners get free home energy assessments for home appliance upgrades to $4,000.
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
The STCs are available for all Australians with solar systems installed. If you are in Cessnock, you can get STCs. The Australian federal government provides STCs to small businesses and households with renewable energy systems.
The value of an STC depends on its supply and demand in the market. Moreover, every solar PV system is assigned a specific number of STCs, and the total value of the STCs will be deducted from the total value of your system.
Feed-in Tariff (FiT)
FiTs are paid by energy retailers to homeowners when they export excess energy into the grid. It is your energy retailer who will set the FiT rate.
The right solar system in Cessnock
There are other factors to consider to get the best solar system for your Cessnock property:
- Roof condition: The condition of your roof is one of the most important things to consider. Before installing solar panels on your property, you need to ensure it’s in good shape. Any repairs or renovations must be completed first before you have solar panels installed.
- Roof angle: The angle of your roof plays a crucial role in solar panel efficiency. Ideally, your roof should be tilted at the same angle as the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: It’s important you know how much energy you consume every month. You can figure this out by looking into your past energy bills to gauge your average monthly consumption.
- Surrounding shade: Trees, shrubbery, and structure can add shade to your property, which can also affect the efficiency of your solar panels. The good news? Your solar installer will find the best location for your solar panels in Cessnock, NSW.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Cessnock, NSW?
In Cessnock, a home solar battery storage will let homeowners store energy generated buy the solar panels that they can use throughout the night or on overcast days. Whilst a solar storage battery isn’t the most affordable option today, it has a lot of benefits, such as :
- Energy independence: The electric grid is unstable and there is also an increase in electricity rates. Hence, solar battery storage will help reduce your reliance on the grid as it can make your home fully self-sufficient.
- Blackout protection: Blackouts in Cessnock are rare, but when they happen, they can be inconvenient. The Tesla Powerwall is among the many batteries today that can power your house whilst your street doesn’t have power. With solar panels in Cessnock, they will continue to charge your battery throughout the day, which you can use throughout the night.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can see you saving even more money. It will allow you to receive credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back to the grid.
Fortunately, there are many brands and types of solar batteries you can get in Cessnock.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Cessnock
The NSW Government is also making EVs more affordable by reducing their upfront costs. For the first 25,000 eligible EVs sold, NSW residents can get $3,000 rebates. However, the EV should have a dutiable value of less than $68,750. Combined with the abolition of stamp duty, consumers can up to $5,540.
Here are the benefits of EVs:
- Lower costs: EVs are more affordable to run and maintain. With this, you can save more money when you have an EV.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia aims to reach net zero by 2050. You can participate in this by switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Australia is the largest lithium exporter in the world. EV batteries are mainly made of lithium. Therefore, when you get an EV, you get to support the Australian lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Cessnock solar panels
A mid-range home in Cessnock can see a return on investment between two and six years. However, it’s essential to consider your energy consumption and usage pattern.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free solar quote and find out what payment plan options are available.