On This Page
The town of Cooma is the largest in the region and is a popular stopover for those who wish to experience snow in NSW. It is home to the Snowy Mountains Hydro Discovery Centre, which is also why the town is home to a growing number of households with solar energy today.
Approximately 14 per cent of households in Cooman have solar panels installed on their roofs. The town receives around 4.8 hours of peak sun per day throughout the year.
The Monaro region, Cooma being part of it, has 1,237 solar panels installed with a collective capacity of 7,071 kW.
For those considering joining the solar revolution in Cooma, exploring quotes from Energy Matters can provide valuable insights into making informed choices for a cleaner and more sustainable energy future. Get your free solar quotes today.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Cooma*
Total Installed Capacity in Cooma (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Cooma, NSW
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Cooma, NSW by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Cooma
There are a few things to consider to help you find the right solar panels for your home. Your energy needs, preference, and budget are the top three. However, if the brand is important for you, then you need to be more mindful when choosing a solar installer in Cooma, NSW.
Solar installers usually have their preferred solar manufacturers. So, to get the brand you prefer and the best rooftop solar panels in Cooma, you need to shop around. Collect several quotes from various solar installers to help you find the right solar panels in Cooma, NSW.
Here at Energy Matters, we recommend you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers. These are financially stable manufacturers, which means they can honour your warranties and deliver higher-quality solar panels in Cooma, NSW.
You can find a list of Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers in Australia on Bloomberg’s New Energy Finance list that they update every year.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
When it comes to the solar panel size for your Cooma property, you should consider your roof and the amount of energy that is allowable by your local electricity network. For most homes in NSW, the solar system size is 6.6 kW with a 5 kW inverter.
If you consume more energy or have plans for an Electric Vehicle (EV) or solar battery to your Cooma property, then we recommend you upsize as early as now.
Size up as much as possible, as this will be a good move. Electrification is increasing, and by upsizing now, you are prepared for the future. Additionally, it will help you save more money in the long run.
Solar rebates and incentives in Cooma, NSW
Solar panels are more affordable than ever, and in NSW, the government has provides solar rebates and incentives to homeowners and small businesses.
In addition to these, Cooma residents can also get Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs) and Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs).
Swap for solar
Low-income households in Cooma can be eligible for the Swap for Solar. This will help reduce energy bills by letting homeowners in Cooma swap their Low-Income Household Rebate for a 3kW solar system, including the installation, at zero cost.
Rebate swap for energy upgrades
Cooma households not eligible for a solar swap can get a rebate swap for energy upgrades. This will let homeowners get free home energy assessments for home appliance upgrades to $4,000.
Small-scale technology Certificates (STCs)
STCs are accessible to all Australians. In Cooma, NSW, if you have a solar panel installed, then you can get STCs.
The Australian federal government provides STCs to small businesses and households with solar energy systems. The value of an STC will depend on its supply and demand in the market.
Every solar PV system is assigned a specific number of STCs, and the their total value will be deducted from the overall value of your system.
Feed-in Tariff (FiT)
FiTs are paid by energy providers to homeowners when they export their excess energy into the grid. Therefore, the FiT rate will depend on your energy retailer.
The right solar system in Cooma
There are more factors to consider to get the best solar system for your Cooma property today:
- Roof condition: Ensure your roof is in its best condition before you have solar panel installation in Cooma, NSW.
- Roof angle: How your roof is angled is crucial to the efficiency of your solar panels in Cooma, NSW. Ideally, the roof must be tilted at the same angle equal to the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: You need to know how much energy you consume every month to help you get the right solar panels for your Cooma home. Check your previous energy bills to get an idea of the amount of energy you consume.
- Surrounding shade: Trees, shrubbery, and other structures around your home can compromise the efficiency of your rooftop solar panels in Cooma. Therefore, make sure to trim down trees and shrubbery. Your solar installer will also help you find the right location for your solar panels.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Cooma, VIC?
In Cooma, a home solar battery storage will let homeowners store energy generated by the solar panels that they can use throughout the night or on overcast days. Whilst a solar storage battery isn’t the most affordable option today, it has a lot of benefits, such as :
- Energy independence: The electric grid is unstable, and there is also an increase in electricity rates. Hence, solar battery storage will help reduce your reliance on the grid as it can make your home fully self-sufficient.
- Blackout protection: Blackouts in Cooma are rare, but they can be inconvenient when they happen. The Tesla Powerwall is among the many batteries today that can power your house whilst your street doesn’t have power. With solar panels in Cooma, they will continue to charge your battery throughout the day, which you can use throughout the night.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can see you save even more money. It will allow you to receive credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back to the grid.
Fortunately, there are many brands and types of solar batteries you can get in Cooma.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Cooma
The NSW Government is also making efforts to make EVs more affordable. They are reducing the upfront cost for the first 25,000 EVs sold by offering $3,000 rebates. However, the EV must be eligible, which means that it should have a dutiable value of less than $68,750. Combine this with the abolition of stamp duty; then, you get savings of up to $5,540.
Here are the benefits you can get from an EV:
- Lower costs: EVs are simpler to maintain and more affordable to run. Therefore, you get to save more money when you have an EV.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia is on a mission to reach net zero by 2050. Be part of this simply by switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Did you know that Australia is the biggest exporter of lithium in the whole world, and EV batteries are mainly made of lithium? Therefore, when you get an EV, you can support the Australian lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Cooma solar panels
A mid-range home in Cooma can see a return on investment between two and six years. However, it’s important to consider your energy consumption and usage pattern.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.