On This Page
Geelong is a beautiful coastal location that’s popular for sport and leisure and is one of the biggest urban centres in Australia. It’s a place for everyone, especially those who want to achieve the perfect work-life balance. Stunning waterfronts, landscaped gardens, and more, it’s the perfect place to be in for adventure seekers.
Geelong residents experience approximately 3.7 hours of sun per day, making it an ideal place for rooftop solar panels. Approximately ten per cent of households in Geelong, Victoria, have solar panels installed on their roofs.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Geelong*
Total Installed Capacity in in Geelong(kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Geelong, VIC
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Geelong, VIC by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Geelong
Your solar installer in Geelong will choose solar panels based on your personal preference, energy needs, and budget for your home. Getting multiple quotes from various solar installers in Geelong is a must if you’re particular with the brand.
Energy Matters recommends you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers for your solar panels in Geelong. These manufacturers provide higher quality and will more likely honour their manufacturer’s warranty compared to lower-tiered manufacturers. Refer to the Bloomberg New Energy Finance’s Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list that is released every year.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers in Melbourne. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
Solar prices in Victoria have reduced significantly over the last decade. When determining the number of solar panels you need for your home in Geelong, you need to consider your roof and the amount of energy your local electrify network will let you install.
For most homes in Victoria, the size of solar system panels is 6.6 kW with a 5 kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
Furthermore, if you consume a lot of electricity, or planning to add an electric vehicle or solar battery in the near future, you should consider installing a bigger solar system.
Your solar installer in Geelong will consider your current and future needs. Additionally, we recommend sizing up where possible. With electrification and the move to Electric Vehicles, your energy needs will increase. Doing so can help you avoid adding solar panels our upgrading your solar PV system in the future.
Solar rebates and incentives in Geelong, VIC
Federal and state government rebates and incentives are accessible to Geelong residents. One incentive is the Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs). There is also the Solar Homes Program and Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs).
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
Geelong residents who have a solar system will be provided a certain number of STCs. The amount of STCs will depend on the location and size of the solar system. Every STC has a monetary value, and their total combined value will result in a deduction from the solar system price.
Your solar installer in Geelong will be the one to handle the application on your behalf and apply the value as a discount at the point of sale.
Solar Homes Program
Geelong residents are also eligible for a solar panel rebate. Homes with no solar power installed previously may access the Victorian Solar Panel rebate, which is at $1,400.
Additionally, there is a solar battery rebate that provides rebates for up to a maximum of $3,950. This rebate is limited to specific releases as set by the Solar Homes Program.
Geelong households with solar hot water can also get a rebate up to $1,000 upon replacement of an existing hot water system that is at least three years old with a solar hot water system.
The program providers interest-free loans for solar PV eligible households. It is a loan scheme in which eligible households can install solar panels in Geelong to their homes and save hundreds of dollars every year on their energy bills. The residents can access renewable energy benefits at no up-front cost, and the loan may be paid back over four years.
Finally, solar for renters helps renters in Geelong reduce their energy bills. To be eligible for this loan, landlords must have an agreement with their tenants to share the installation costs. Under this program can get up to $1,400.
Feed-in Tariff (FiT)
Excess energy generated by your solar system may be exported to the grid. Your energy retailer will be the one to provide you a FiT that will result in a credit on your electricity bill.
The right solar system in Geelong
When choosing the right solar system in Geelong, there are a few things to consider:
- Roof condition: Before you have solar panels installed in Geelong, ensure your roof is in good shape. Any repairs or renovations must be completed before solar panel installation.
- Roof angle: How the roof is angled also plays an important role in the efficiency of your solar panels. Ideally, the roof must be tilted at the same angle equal to the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: Determining the amount of energy you consume every month is important to know the size of your solar system. You can have an idea by looking into previous monthly energy bills.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property or in your neighbor’s yard may reduce the efficiency of your system. Make sure that trees are trimmed back. Furthermore, your solar installer will find the best possible position for your solar panels and consider any shaded areas on your property.
Your solar installer in Geelong will design a system that will maximise your roof space whilst considering your current and future energy needs.
We recommend seeking at least 3 solar quotes to ensure that you are getting the best deal and a solar installer whom you can trust. Energy Matters has done most of the hard work for you! We have a nationwide network of trusted, local solar installers in Melbourne who are ready to contact you and provide a quote. Get up to 3 FREE solar quotes via our solar quote service.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Geelong?
In Geelong, a home solar battery storage will let homeowners store energy generated buy the solar panels that they can use throughout the night or on overcast days. Whilst a solar storage battery isn’t the most affordable option today, it has a lot of benefits, such as :
- Energy independence: The electric grid is unstable and there is also an increase in electricity rates. Hence, solar battery storage will help reduce your reliance on the grid as it can make your home fully self-sufficient.
- Blackout protection: Blackouts in Geelong are rare, but when they happen, they can be inconvenient. The Tesla Powerwall is among the many batteries today that can power your house whilst your street doesn’t have power. With solar panels in Geelong, they will continue to charge your battery throughout the day, which you can use throughout the night.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can see you saving even more money. It will allow you to receive credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back to the grid.
Fortunately, there are many brands and types of solar batteries you can get in Geelong.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Geelong
Through the Zero Emissions Vehicle Roadmap in Victoria, half of the light vehicle sales will be Zero Emissions Vehicles (ZEVs) that is supported by a $100 million package of programs and policies that ensures the state becomes a leader in the adoption of ZEVs in Australia. With this, it will put Victoria in a more advantageous position to move towards technology.
The Greens Electric Vehicle Rapid Updates Plan will also help Victoria even become more sustainable. With these plans in place, it makes a lot of sense to switch to EVs. Here are some of the benefits you can get when you switch to EVs:
- Lower costs: EVs are simpler to maintain and more cost-effective to run.
- Meet the country’s emissions target: Australia is committed to reaching net zero by 2050. Switching to EV allows you participate in this significant change.
- More economic opportunities: You can take advantage of a stronger economy and get a significant amount of savings when you switch to EV. Australia is the biggest lithium exporter globally, and solar batteries are mainly made of lithium. When you switch to EV, you will be investing in Australian jobs.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Geelong solar panels
If you own a mid-range solar system in Geelong, the return on investment is between two and six years. Remember that your energy consumption and usage pattern will play important roles here, which you should also consider when it comes to your ROI. Nevertheless, you can reap the rewards of going solar in the coming years.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free solar quote and find out what payment plan options are available.