On This Page
Hervey Bay in Queensland boasts of a natural bay and its humpback whale visitors. Due to the mild climate, it’s one of the most popular tourist spots in the state. The golden beaches provide a warm and friendly atmosphere, and a fantastic place to visit for families, surfers, and retirees, and everyone in between. Sheltered by Fraser Island, the area is truly a charming beach side town that will captivate your heart and soul.
Being by the beach, it’s an ideal spot for solar energy. Hence, around 36 per cent of households have installed solar panels on their roofs.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Hervey Bay*
Total Installed Capacity in Hervey Bay (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Hervey Bay, QLD
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Hervey Bay, QLD by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Hervey Bay
Before you switch to solar, there are a few things to keep in mind. A Hervey Bay installer will choose the right panels for you whilst considering your energy needs, budget, and personal preference.
An important thing to remember here is that most solar installers in Hervey Bay, QLD, already have their choice of solar panel manufacturer. Therefore, if you’re particular about the brand of solar panel, then it’ll be a good idea to compare multiple quotes from different installers first.
We recommend you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers because they are the most financially stable ones that can honour their warranties. In addition to this, they are known to produce higher-quality solar panels.
You can refer to the Bloomberg New Energy Finance Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list that is released every year.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
For most homes in QLD, the average solar system size is 6.6 kW of PV panels with a 5 kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
If you consume a lot of energy or you are thinking of adding a solar battery or an electric vehicle to your home in Hervey Bay, then it will be a better idea to install a bigger solar system.
We recommend you size up, especially as electrification in Australia continues to move forward. This will impact your future electricity needs. So, it only makes sense that you think about sizing up as early as now because this will save you money and time down the road.
Solar rebates and incentives in Hervey Bay, QLD
You are entitled to solar incentives in Hervey Bay. What are the ones available for you?
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
STCs are redeemed for cash that is deducted from the system cost. It’s like a coupon you get when you install a solar panel. However, the number of STCs you get will be based on the system size and its location.
Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs)
Your energy provider gives you the FiT. You get this from the excess energy your solar panels generate that is sent back into the grid. Consider it like a passive income for you when you switch to solar in Hervey Bay today. If you think about it, your solar system will pay for itself in a few years’ time, thanks to FiT.
So, it’s more important than ever to compare energy retailers. Currently, the QLD state government doesn’t offer any solar rebates. However, you can stay up to date with solar rebates and incentives here.
The right solar system in Hervey Bay
To get the most out of your solar system for your Hervey Bay home, you need to consider a few factors:
- Roof condition: Ensure your roof is in good condition before you have solar panels installed in Hervey Bay.
- Roof angle: The angle of the roof must be tilted at the same angle as the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: To get a better idea of the right size of the solar system for your home in Hervey Bay, get the amount of your monthly energy consumption by referring to your previous monthly energy bills.
- Surrounding shade: Trees and other structures on your property or in your neighbour’s yard may affect solar system efficiency. You can do something about this by trimming the trees. Your solar installer in Hervey Bay will also help you find the best location and position for your solar panels.
Rest assured, your solar installer in Hervey Bay will design a system that will maximise your roof space whilst considering your current and future energy needs.
We recommend seeking at least 3 solar quotes to ensure that you are getting the best deal and a solar installer whom you can trust. Energy Matters has done most of the hard work for you! We have a nationwide network of trusted, local installers who are ready to contact you and provide a quote. Get up to 3 FREE quotes via our solar quote service.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Hervey Bay?
With a solar storage battery in Hervey Bay, you can store excess energy generated from your solar panels and use that energy at night or on overcast days.
A growing number of brands on the market offer solar batteries. Here are some of the benefits you can get from it:
- Energy independence: The electrical grid isn’t that stable anymore, and with the increase in electricity rates, it only makes sense to think of other solutions to power your homes. Solar battery storage in Hervey Bay will reduce your dependency on the grid and can even make your home fully self-sufficient.
- Blackout protection: Although blackouts rarely happen in Hervey Bay, but when it does happen, it’s a major inconvenience. A lot of solar batteries, like the Tesla Powerwall, can power your home during blackouts, even throughout the night. You can rely on your solar panels to charge your battery throughout the day.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can help you save more money when you receive credits for sharing the power stored by your home solar battery in Hervey Bay back into the grid.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Hervey Bay
The Queensland Government continues to make efforts for EVs to be more affordable in Hervey Bay. In fact, Queenslanders can get up to $3,000 rebate for EVs priced at less than $58,000. In addition, the QLD government plans to have at least 288 EVs in their government fleet this year.
It’s also noteworthy that EVs are hybrids today, paying lower stamp duty compared to fuel-powered vehicles. EVs up to $100,000 pay a two per cent duty; whilst those over $100,000 pay a four per cent duty.
QLD is also rolling out EV charging infrastructure and has pioneered EV chargers in Australia with the Queensland Electric Super Highway that runs almost the full length of the coast. It is also the longest intrastate network in the world.
Currently, there are 10,000 EVs registered in QLD, and the $45 million EV strategy will guarantee that 100 per cent of eligible QLD government passenger vehicles are zero-emission by 2025. The new TransLink-funded bus was also added to the fleet.
With these exciting developments, you can expect more EV models in the future. So, if you want to get one in Hervey Bay, here are some other benefits you can look forward to:
- Lower costs: EVs are easier to run and more affordable to maintain.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia aims to reach net zero by 2050. You can help achieve this goal by switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Australia is the biggest exporter of lithium in the world, and EV batteries are primarily made of lithium. With an EV, you can help maintain the lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Hervey Bay solar panels
For a mid-range home in Hervey Bay, the return on investment for your solar panels can take two to six years. Of course, this will still depend on your consumption and usage pattern. Think of it this way—the more you consume solar, the more you get to save on your energy bills.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.