On This Page
Katoomba in New South Wales (NSW) is a popular tourist attraction with wonderful views from Jamison Valley, streets filled with art deco buildings, and an exciting dining and entertainment scene.
The area is the perfect place to live if you want to live in the mountains and be enveloped by nature. In addition, you can immerse yourself in an excellent community.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Katoomba*
Total Installed Capacity in Katoomba (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Katoomba, NSW
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Katoomba, NSW by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Katoomba
Katoomba is an ideal place for solar energy, which is why many homeowners and business owners are making the switch. If you’re one of them, you need to find the right solar installer in Katoomba, NSW. With the right solar installer, you can guarantee that they will help you choose the best solar system for you whilst considering your energy needs, personal preference, and budget.
One important thing to keep in mind is that most solar installers in Katoomba have a preferred solar panel manufacturer. So, if you’re particular about the brand, it’s vital to compare multiple quotes first.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
Energy Matters recommends you choose tier 1 solar panel manufacturers for your solar panels. They are the ones who are financially stable and can honour their warranties. In addition, they are known to produce higher-quality solar panels for your Katoomba property.
One of the best things today is that the costs of solar panels have reduced significantly. Therefore, solar systems in Katoomba are more affordable than ever.
For most homes in NSW, ideal solar system size is 6.6 kW of solar panels with a 5 kW inverter. We recommend you size up where possible as energy costs rise and electrification speed up. By sizing up as early as now, you get to accommodate your future energy needs, especially if you have plans to install a solar battery or purchase an electric vehicle. Overall, you get to save more money in the long run when you buy a bigger solar system in Katoomba.
Solar rebates and incentives in Katoomba, NSW
Swap for Solar
Low-income households in Katoomba may be eligible for Swap for Solar to reduce energy bills. This helps Katoomba residents swap their Low-Income Household Rebate for a 3kW solar system, including installation, at zero cost.
Rebate swap for energy upgrades
Katoomba residents who are not eligible for Swap for Solar can get a rebate swap for energy upgrades instead. This helps homeowners get free home energy assessments for home appliance upgrades to $4,000.
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
STCs are widely available for Australians with solar systems installed on their properties. Hence, this includes Katoomba residents. STCs are provided by the Australian Federal Government, yet their value is based on the supply and demand in the open market. Therefore, every solar system is assigned a certain number of STCs, and the total value of these STCs will be deducted from the total system value.
Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs)
FiTs are paid by energy retailers when you export excess energy back into the rid. Comparing energy retailers first is important as they are the ones who set the FiT rate.
The right solar system in Katoomba
There are several factors to consider to ensure you get the best solar system in Katoomba, NSW:
- Roof condition: Your roof should be in excellent condition before you install solar panels in Katoomba.
- Roof angle: Ideally, your roof should be tilted at the same angle as the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: To determine the number of solar panels in Katoomba that you need, look into your previous energy bills to get an idea of your average monthly consumption.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property or on your neighbour’s may cause shade that may affect the efficiency of your solar system in Katoomba, NSW. Trim down the trees, and your solar installer will also help find the best position for your solar system whilst considering these shaded areas.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Katoomba, NSW?
A home solar battery in Katoomba, NSW, will allow you to store energy generated by your solar panels that you can use throughout the night, during blackouts or on overcast days. Some of its benefits are:
- Energy independence: It is known that today’s electric grid has become more unstable which leads to higher energy costs. You can reduce your grid dependency and even make your home fully self-sufficient with a solar battery in Katoomba, NSW.
- Blackout protection: Blackouts in Katoomba rarely occur, but you don’t want to be caught in one with no power source. With a solar battery, you are prepared and protected from blackouts.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can see you save even more money. It will allow you to receive credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back to the grid.
There are many brands and types of solar batteries you can get in Katoomba, NSW today.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Katoomba
In NSW, it’s not only solar energy that is becoming more affordable but EVs as well. The NSW Government is reducing the upfront cost for the first 25,000 eligible EVs sold by offering $3,000 rebates. The EV must have a dutiable value of less than $68,750, and combined with the abolition of stamp duty, it will save consumers up to $5,540.
There are also many more EV models to be launched, which makes it even more exciting. Here are some of the benefits you can get when you purchase an EV today:
- Lower costs: The running costs of EVs are lower, and they are simpler to maintain.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia aims to reach net zero by 2050. You can help meet this target by switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Australia is the largest exporter of lithium in the world. Additionally, EV batteries are made of lithium. With this, you can support the Australian lithium industry when you get an EV.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Katoomba solar panels
For a mid-range home in Katoomba, NSW, the return on investment can be between two and six years. Remember that your energy consumption and usage pattern must be taken into consideration.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.