On This Page
Lake Illawarra, located in New South Wales (NSW), is one of those hidden gems that locals absolutely adore. Nestled along the beautiful Illawarra coastline, this lake isn’t just a picturesque backdrop; it’s a hub of activity and a haven for nature lovers.
It’s a spot where time slows down, and the worries of the world melt away. It’s a slice of coastal paradise right in the heart of NSW, and once you’ve been, you’ll understand why the locals are so proud of their little piece of heaven.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Lake Illawarra*
Total Installed Capacity in Lake Illawarra (kW)*
*As of March 2023
Average solar production in Lake Illawarra, NSW
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Lake Illawarra, NSW by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Lake Illawarra
Due to the NSW government’s measures to improve accessibility and lower the cost of renewable energy sources, more families in the state are switching to solar energy.
Australia Energy Market Operator (AEMO) predicts that by 2038, the state’s installed PV capacity will reach 6,070 MW.
The first step in switching to solar energy, which is now, is to find the best solar installer in Lake Illawarra. There are several solar installers to choose from in Lake Illawarra today.
We recommend choosing Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers because of their high bankability, which lets them honour their warranties. They are also known to produce higher-quality solar panels.
Check out Bloomberg’s New Energy Finance Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list, which is updated every year.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
Most homes in NSW have a solar system with 6.6 kW PV panels and a 5 kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
Getting a bigger rooftop solar system initially is a good move, considering electrification is sweeping across the country fast. A bigger solar system in Lake Illawarra will prepare you for the changes to your future energy needs. In addition, this will save you more money in the long run.
Solar rebates and incentives in Lake Illawarra, NSW
To encourage the use of solar energy, the NSW government offers subsidies and incentives.
Swap for Solar
Low-Income Household Rebates may be exchanged for a 3kW system with installation fees by low-income homes.
Rebate Swap for Energy Upgrades
If you don’t qualify for a solar exchange, you might be able to trade in energy-saving improvements for compensation. You will receive a free home energy study in return for updating your appliances, up to a value of $4,000 in total.
Small-Scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
For Australians with solar systems installed on their properties, STCs are readily accessible. Thus, this also applies to Lake Illawarra residents. STCs are offered by the Australian Federal Government, but the open market’s supply and demand determine their value. Since each solar system is given a specific number of STCs, the overall value of these STCs will be deducted from the value of the entire system.
Feed-in Tariff (FiT)
Exporting excess energy into the grid will reward you with FiTs. Energy retailers are the ones who will award you with FiTs and set the rates.
The right solar system in Lake Illawarra
Before installing rooftop solar panels, Lake Illawarra residents should take the following into account:
- Roof condition: Prior to installing rooftop solar panels in Lake Illawarra, it’s crucial to consider your roof’s condition.
- Roof angle: The latitude of the home’s location determines the appropriate roof angle for a given region.
- Energy usage: You must know your average monthly energy usage in order to calculate the quantity of solar panels you require for your home. In this case, you’ll need your previous energy bills.
- Surrounding shade: Shade from neighbouring trees or other structures may result in less effective operation of the solar panels on your roof. Your Lake Illawarra solar installer will help choose where to put your rooftop solar panels.
Do you need a solar battery in Lake Illawarra, NSW?
You can store the energy produced by your Lake Illawarra rooftop solar panels if you have a solar battery:
- Energy independence: Residents of Lake Illawarra can eliminate or reduce their reliance on the grid by using a solar battery.
- Protection from blackouts: Even though Lake Illawarra doesn’t experience many power outages, solar batteries can help you be prepared for them when they happen. One of the solar batteries you can buy right now is the Tesla Powerwall.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can save you even more money as you get credits for sharing the power stored by your battery.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Lake Illawarra
The NSW Government also makes EVs more affordable by reducing upfront costs. For the first 25,000 eligible EVs sold, NSW residents can get $3,000 rebates. However, the EV should have a dutiable value of less than $68,750. With the abolition of stamp duty, consumers can up to $5,540.
Here are the benefits of EVs:
- Lower costs: EVs are more affordable to run and maintain. With this, you can save more money when you have an EV.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia aims to reach net zero by 2050. You can participate in this by switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Australia is the largest lithium exporter in the world. EV batteries are mainly made of lithium. Therefore, when you get an EV, you get to support the Australian lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Lake Illawarra solar panels
A mid-range home in Lake Illawarra can see a return on investment between two and six years. However, it’s essential to consider your energy consumption and usage pattern.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.