On This Page
The bayside town of Mornington, Victoria, evokes a village atmosphere and is a popular tourist destination. It is a suburb on the Mornington Peninsula with beautiful beaches and wineries.
Being a seaside town, Mornington experiences good weather and receives around 3.95 hours of peak sun per day. With that, residents in Mornington are switching to solar, with almost 15 per cent of homes having rooftop solar panels installed. Are you thinking of doing the same?
Given the town’s favorable weather conditions, boasting around 3.95 hours of peak sun per day, the transition to solar power aligns seamlessly with the natural environment. If you’re contemplating joining the eco-conscious community, consider exploring FREE solar quotes from Energy Matters, a choice that harmonizes with Mornington’s commitment to a greener future.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Mornington*
Total Installed Capacity in Mornington (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Mornington, VIC
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Mornington, VIC by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Mornington
There are many solar installers in Mornington, VIC today, and surely, you want to find the best one for your home. Your solar installer in Mornington will help you through the process whilst considering your energy needs, personal preference, and budget.
One thing to remember is that most solar installers in Mornington already have a preferred solar panel manufacturer. So, if you are particular about the brand, we suggest you get multiple quotes first.
Energy Matters recommends you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers because they are the financially stable ones that can honour warranties. They are also known to produce higher-quality solar panels.
To know who these manufacturers are, refer to Bloomberg’s New Energy Finance Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list, which is updated every year.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
Over the last ten years, the costs of solar panels in Mornington have reduced significantly. With this, solar panels are more accessible. When choosing solar panels for your Mornington home, you need to know the number of panels you need. There are certain considerations to take for this, like your roof angle, condition, and the amount your local electrical network will let you install.
For most homes in Victoria, the average solar system size is 6.6 kWof panels with a 5kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
On the other hand, if you consume more energy than the average-sized home or you’re thinking of adding a solar battery or an electric vehicle, getting a bigger solar system initially is a better idea.
The fast-paced electrification in Australia will impact your future energy needs. So, when you buy a bigger system now, you get to save more money in the long run.
Solar rebates and incentives in Mornington, VIC
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
STCs are a rebate that is acquired from the initial purchase of your solar system. When you install solar panels, you will get a number of STCs that you can exchange for around $40. However, this will still depend on the expected solar system energy output throughout its lifespan.
Victoria Solar Homes Program
You can also get a rebate of up to $1,400 off the solar panel (PV) system cost. Also, Mornington households with solar batteries may also get a battery rebate of up to $2,950, whilst those with solar hot water systems may get up to $1,000.
Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs)
If you send excess energy back into the grid, then you will receive FiTs for every kWh of power exported. In Victoria, there are two types of FiTs—a single-rate tariff and a time-varying tariff. The single-rate FiT applies one rate for all energy produced, whilst the time-varying FiT applies different rates at different times of the day.
The right solar system in Mornington
To ensure you get the most out of your solar panels in Mornington, VIC, here are some things to consider before you buy:
- Roof condition: Make sure your roof is in good condition before you have solar panels installed.
- Roof angle: Ideally, your roof should be tilted at the same angle as the latitude of the location of the property.
- Energy consumption: To determine the number of solar panels you need for your Mornington home, look into your previous energy bills to find out your average energy consumption.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property or on your neighbour’s may reduce solar panel efficiency. You can trim them down, and your solar installer in Mornington will help you find the best location for your solar panels.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Mornington, VIC?
You can store excess energy you can use throughout the night and on overcast days when you have a solar battery in Mornington. Here are the other benefits you can get from it:
- Energy independence: With the unstable electric grid and rising energy costs, many homeowners are finding ways to make their homes less reliant on the grid. With a solar battery in Mornington, you can make your home fully self-sufficient, at the same time, save more on energy bills.
- Blackout protection: Blackouts rarely happen in Mornington, which is why it’s best to be prepared. The Tesla Powerwall is one of the many solar batteries today that can store your excess energy for that reserved power you can use should there be a blackout. Your solar panels in Mornington will continue to charge your battery throughout the day.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can help you save even more money. You will gain credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back into the grid.
Again, finding the right solar battery for your Mornington home is easy. There are now many brands and types of solar batteries you can get today.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Mornington
Through the Zero Emissions Vehicle Roadmap, half of the light vehicle sales in VIC will be Zero Emissions Vehicles (ZEVs). Additionally, an increasing number of charging stations is a part of a broader initiative.
Therefore, this may result in EV uptake; with more EV models to be launched, it’s an exciting time to switch to EVs in Mornington. Here are some of the benefits you can get when you switch to an EV:
- Lower costs: You will find that EVs have lower running costs compared to fuel-power vehicles, and they are simpler to maintain.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia aims to reach net zero by 2050. You can help meet this target by switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Did you know that Australia is the biggest export of lithium globally? And EV batteries are mainly made of lithium. Therefore, when you buy an EV, you get to support the Australian lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Mornington solar panels
For a mid-range home in Mornington, you can expect a return on investment between two and six years. Keep in mind that how you consume energy and your usage pattern play important roles here.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.