On This Page
Over 15 per cent of Norfolk Island dwellings already have solar panels installed. Bendigo rooftops get an annual average of around 3.7 hours of sun per day, generating approximately 5.55 kWh for a home with a 1.5kW solar PV array.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Norfolk Island*
Total Installed Capacity in Norfolk Island (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Norfolk Island
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Norfolk Island by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Norfolk Island
Finding the right solar installer for your home in Norfolk Island will make a lot of difference. The right solar installer in Norfolk Island will consider your energy needs, personal preference, and budget. However, most solar installers have a preferred manufacturer, so, if you have a particular brand in mind, it’s best you take the time to compare solar energy installers first.
Energy Matters recommends you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturerss because they have the solid financial stability that will guarantee excellent warranties. They are also known to produce higher-quality solar panels.
You can refer to Bloomberg New Energy Finance’s Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list, which is released every year.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
The costs of solar panels have reduced significantly, but there are still some considerations to take to ensure you have the right solar system in Norfolk Island.
Most homes in NSW have a solar system size of 6.6 kW with a 5 kW inverter. However, we recommend sizing up where possible.
Initially, getting a bigger solar system in Norfolk Island as early as now is a good idea, considering the pace of electrification today and the rising energy costs. When you size up now, you can save more money, making you better prepared should you choose to get a solar battery or an electric vehicle in the future.
Solar rebates and incentives in Norfolk Island
Swap for Solar
Low-income households in Norfolk Island are eligible for Swap for Solar. This helps reduce energy bills by letting homeowners in Norfolk Island swap their Low-Income Household Rebate for a 3kW solar system that includes installation at zero cost.
Rebate swap for energy upgrades
Norfolk Island homeowners are also eligible for a solar swap for energy upgrades. With this, homeowners can get free home energy assessments for home appliance upgrades up to $4,000.
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
STCs are available for all Australias with solar systems on their properties. These are given to households and small businesses with renewable energy systems. However, the value of STC will depend on its supply and demand in the open market. That said, every solar system is assigned a specific number of STCs, and their total value will be deducted from the total system value.
Energy retailers in Norfolk Island are the ones who provide the FiTs. They are given when homeowners export excess energy into the grid. This is also why it is a good idea to compare energy retailers to ensure you get the best FiT for your home.
The right solar system in Norfolk Island
Here are the important factors to consider to help you get the best solar system in Norfolk Island:
- Roof condition: Your roof should be in excellent condition before you rooftop solar panels are installed.
- Roof angle: The angle of your roof must be tilted at the same angle as the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: To determine the number of solar panels that you need, you need to get your average monthly consumption. You can do this by looking into previous energy bills.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property or surrounding areas may affect the efficiency of your solar system in Norfolk Island. Trim the trees; and your solar installer will also help you find the best location and position for your solar panels.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Norfolk Island?
A home solar battery in Norfolk Island will allow you to store excess energy that you can use throughout the night or on cloudy days. It has a lot of benefits, such as:
- Energy independence: The electric grid has been unstable for a while now and it doesn’t help that energy costs are rising. You can save yourself from this with a solar battery in Norfolk Island that will reduce your grid dependency and make your home fully self-sufficient, which will lead to significant savings.
- Blackout protection: Blackouts rarely happen in Norfolk Island, but they can be inconvenient when they do. With a solar battery, like the Tesla Powerwall you are prepared.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can see you saving even more money. It will allow you to receive credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back to the grid.
The good thing is that there are brands and types of solar batteries you can get in Norfolk Island.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Norfolk Island
In NSW, it’s not only solar energy becoming more affordable but EVs as well. The NSW Government is reducing the upfront cost for the first 25,000 eligible EVs sold by offering $3,000 rebates. The EV must have a dutiable value of less than $68,750, and combined with the abolition of stamp duty, it will save consumers up to $5,540.
There are also many more EV models to be launched, which makes it even more exciting. Here are some of the benefits you can get when you purchase an EV today:
- Lower costs: The running costs of EVs are lower, and they are simpler to maintain.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia aims to reach net zero by 2050. You can help meet this target by switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Australia is the largest exporter of lithium in the world. Additionally, EV batteries are made of lithium. With this, you can support the Australian lithium industry when you get an EV.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Norfolk Island solar panels
For a mid-range home in Norfolk Island, the return on investment can be between two and six years. Remember that your energy consumption and usage pattern must be taken into consideration.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free solar quote and find out what payment plan options are available.