On This Page
Port Macquarie, NSW is home to 17 beautiful beaches, along with a diverse variety of attractions and relaxed coastal suburbs. The nature that surrounds Port Macquarie is breathtaking with good restaurants and a lot of things to do.
Port Macquarie is one of the best places to live in New South Wales (NSW). To add to that, the area gets good weather, making it an ideal spot for solar panels.
There are 8,210 rooftop solar panels under 10kW installed in the mid-north coast of NSW with a collective capacity of 43,136 kW.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Port Macquarie*
Total Installed Capacity in Port Macquarie (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Port Macquarie, NSW
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Port Macquarie, NSW by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Port Macquarie
Your preference, energy needs, and budget are the important things you need to consider to find the right solar panels for you. However, it’s essential to keep in mind that most solar installers today have their preferred solar panel manufacturer. Therefore, it’s a good idea to get multiple quotes if the brand of the solar panel is important for you.
Here at Energy Matters, we recommend you select Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers for your solar panels. They are the ones that are financially stable to honour warranties and provide higher quality solar panels in Port Macquarie, NSW.
Bloomberg New Energy Finance releases a Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list every year, so you might want to check that out.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
Solar panels in Port Macquarie have reduced significantly over the last decade, which is good news. And the costs are expected to go down even more.
When choosing the Port Macquarie solar panel size for your home, you need to consider your roof and the amount of energy you’re allowed to run by your local electricity network.
For most homes in NSW, the solar system size is 6.6 kW with a 5 kW inverter. Moreover, suppose you consume a lot of energy, or you have plans to add an Electric Vehicle (EV) or solar battery to your Port Macquarie property. In that case, it’s best you consider installing a bigger solar system as early as now.
Size up as much as possible because it’s a good move to get a bigger solar system size with the increase in electrification in the coming years. Doing so will help you save more costs in the future.
Solar rebates and incentives in Port Macquarie, NSW
As mentioned, solar panels are more affordable than ever, and the NSW Government has even made them more affordable. Port Macquarie residents now have access to solar rebates and incentives that will help them save more money, at the same time, get a significant return on investment in a few years’ time.
NSW has two solar incentives—the Solar for Low-Income Households Trial and Empowering Homes programs. Port Macquarie residents can also receive Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs) along with Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs).
Swap for solar
Low-income households in Port Macquarie can be eligible for the Swap for Solar. This will help reduce energy bills by letting homeowners in Port Macquarie swap their Low-Income Household Rebate for a 3kW solar system, including the installation, at zero cost.
Rebate swap for energy upgrades
Port Macquarie households not eligible for a solar swap can get a rebate swap for energy upgrades. This will let homeowners get free home energy assessments for home appliance upgrades to $4,000.
Small-Scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
STCs are available for all Australians with solar systems installed on their properties. So, if you live in Port Macquarie and you have a solar panel installed, then you can get STCs.
The Australian federal government provides STCs to small businesses and households with renewable energy systems. An STC’s value depends on its supply and demand in the market. Every solar PV system is assigned a specific number of STCs, and the total value of these STCs will be deducted from the total value of your system.
Feed-in Tariff (FiT)
FiTs are paid by energy providers to homeowners when they export their excess energy into the grid. Your energy retailer will set the rate of your FiT.
The right solar system in Port Macquarie
Here are some other factors to consider to get the best solar system for your Port Macquarie property.
- Roof condition: Check your roof’s condition before you have solar panels installed on your roof. Your roof must be in good shape. So, any repairs or renovations should be completed before installing solar panels.
- Roof angle: How your roof is angled is important and plays a crucial role in solar panel efficiency. Ideally, the roof must be tilted at the same angle equal to the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: How much energy do you consume every month? You can figure this out by looking into your past energy bills to gauge the average monthly consumption.
- Surrounding shade: Any shading on your property due to trees, shrubbery, and other structures may also affect the efficiency of your solar panels. The good news is your solar installer will find the best location for your solar panels in Port Macquarie.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Port Macquiarie, NSW?
In Port Macquarie, a home solar battery storage will let homeowners store energy generated buy the solar panels that they can use throughout the night or on overcast days. Whilst a solar storage battery isn’t the most affordable option today, it has a lot of benefits, such as :
- Energy independence: The electric grid is unstable and there is also an increase in electricity rates. Hence, solar battery storage will help reduce your reliance on the grid as it can make your home fully self-sufficient.
- Blackout protection: Blackouts in Port Macquarie are rare, but when they happen, they can be inconvenient. The Tesla Powerwall is among the many batteries today that can power your house whilst your street doesn’t have power. With solar panels in Port Macquarie, they will continue to charge your battery throughout the day, which you can use throughout the night.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can see you saving even more money. It will allow you to receive credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back to the grid.
Fortunately, there are many brands and types of solar batteries you can get in Port Macquarie.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Port Macquarie
Another thing that the NSW Government is making more affordable is the EV. The NSW Government is reducing the upfront cost for the first 25,000 eligible EVs sold by offering $3,000 rebates. However, to be eligible, the EV must have a dutiable value of less than $68,750. Combined with the abolition of stamp duty, it will save consumers up to $5,540.
There is an expected uptake for EVs, and with more EV models to be launched, things will even be more exciting. Here are the benefits you can get when you purchase an EV today:
- Lower costs: EVs are a lot more affordable to run and maintain. Therefore, you can save more money when you have an EV.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia aims to reach net zero by 2050. You can be a part of this by switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Australia is the largest lithium exporter in the world; EV batteries are mainly made of lithium. As a result, getting an EV is an excellent way to support the Australian lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Port Macquarie solar panels
A mid-range home in Port Macquarie can see a return on investment between two and six years. However, it is essential to consider your energy consumption and usage pattern.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request anobligation-free solar quote and find out what payment plan options are available.