On This Page
Scone is the horse capital of Australia, and it was the home of the Scottish kings. Being in NSW makes it one of the best places for solar power. Scone hosts the annual Scone Horse Festival that draws in thousands of equine loving tourists who take advantage of the many events available – and the wine tours!
The Hunter Region, where Scone is located, has 990 rooftop solar panels installed under 10kW with a collective capacity of 7,040 kW. Scone receives around 4.8 hours of ‘peak sun’ per day.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Scone*
Total Installed Capacity in Scone (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Scone, NSW
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Scone, NSW by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Scone
When looking for solar installers in Scone, they will consider your personal preference, energy needs, and budget. However, you should remember that these solar installers in Scone, NSW usually have a preferred solar panel manufacturer. Therefore, if you’re particular about the brand of solar panels for your Scone property, getting several quotes is crucial.
Here at Energy Matters, we recommend you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers for your solar panels in Scone, NSW. These manufacturers provide higher quality solar panels and will likely honour their manufacturer’s warranty compared to lower-tiered manufacturers. To get an idea of these Tier 1 manufacturers, you can refer to Bloomberg’s New Energy Finance Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list, which is updated annually.
In addition, Energy Matters has partnered with trusted solar panel manufacturers that we are proud to recommend to our customers. These recommended manufacturers are:
Whether you know which panels you want to install on your home or business, or you’d rather discuss your options, we recommend that you begin your solar journey by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. Our network of trusted, local installers will provide personalised quotes for a system that will meet your current and future needs.
Solar panel costs in Scone, NSW, have reduced significantly over the last ten years. When it comes to the number of solar panels you need to install for your property, you need to consider your roof and the amount your local electricity network will let you install.
For most homes in NSW, a 6.6 kW solar system size with a 5 kW inverter is ideal. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
On the other hand, if you plan to use more energy or you’re planning to add an electric vehicle or battery to your home, it’s best you consider getting a bigger solar system. We also recommend sizing up where possible. With the increase in electrification, your future electricity needs will change. Therefore, you need will to add solar panels or upgrade your solar PV system fully in the future, which can get expensive. You can avoid the additional costs by sizing up as early as now.
Solar rebates and incentives in Scone, NSW
Scone is one of the best places to have solar power with the amount of exposure it gets from the sun. This is also the reason many homeowners are switching to solar. Additionally, when you switch to solar in Scone, NSW, you can also access solar rebates and incentives that will help you save and make money. Here are the rebates and incentives you can get in Scone, NSW:
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
The federal government provides STCs. You can trade them, and you or your installer can exchange them for a solar panel discount in Scone. Remember that the STCs you get will depend on the solar system size. Some homeowners choose to receive a point-of-sale discount deduced from the total solar system cost, which usually results in thousands of dollars saved. Your solar installer will take care of all this for you.
Solar for Low-Income Households
Solar for Low-Income Households is a rebate provided by the federal government. It aims to help low-income households forego the rebate and install a 3kW solar system at zero cost. Additionally, the NSW government provides an appliance replacement scheme for low-income houses, offering 50 per cent off the cost of a new fridge and 50 per cent off for a new TV as long as they have high energy ratings.
Feed-in Tariff (FiT)
Scone homeowners can take advantage of FiTs. FiTs can help you make more money from the excess solar energy you send back to the grid. It is your energy retailer who will provide you with the FiT. However, each retailer has their own FiT rate. For this reason, we recommend comparing energy retailers to ensure that you are getting the best FiT for your home.
The right solar system in Scone
When choosing the right solar system in Scone, you need to consider the following factors:
- Roof condition: Before you have solar panels installed on your Scone roof, you need to ensure the roof is in good condition.
- Roof angle: The angle of your roof plays a crucial role in the efficiency of your solar panels. Ideally, the roof should be tilted at the same angle to the latitude of your property’s location.
- Energy consumption: Determine the amount of energy you consume every month to have a better idea of the solar system size you should get for your Scone property.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property, or in your neighbour’s yard may reduce the efficiency of your solar system in Scone drastically. Ensure that any trees that may pose a problem are trimmed back. Also, your solar installer will locate the best possible position for your panels and take into account shaded areas.
Your solar installer will design a system that best utilises your roof space whilst considering your current and future energy needs.
We recommend seeking at least 3 solar quotes to ensure that you get the best deal and selecting a solar installer you can trust. Energy Matters has done most of the hard work for you! We have a nationwide network of trusted, local installers who are ready to contact you and provide a quote. Get up to 3 FREE quotes via our solar quote service.
Do you need solar battery storage in Scone, NSW?
A home solar battery storage will allow you to store excess energy produced by your solar panels in Scone. Then, you can use the stored energy at night or on overcast days. That is why it’s worth considering getting a solar storage battery. The good news? Various brands offer it. Although a solar battery can be expensive, it is worth considering for the reasons below:
- Energy independence: Energy independence is becoming more important than ever with the increasing electricity rates and reduced reliability of the electrical grid. When you have a solar battery, you can be less reliant on the grid, and in some cases, you can even make your home self-sufficient fully.
- Blackout protection: Although blackouts rarely happen, they can be a huge inconvenience. With a solar battery, you don’t need to worry about it at all. A lot of solar batteries like the Tesla Powerwall can deliver energy to your home, and your solar panels will continue to charge your battery throughout the day so you can have the energy to use through the night.
- Saves you money: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can help you save more money as you can get credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back to the grid.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Scone
The NSW Government continues to make EVs more affordable by reducing the upfront cost for the first 25,000 eligible EVs sold. As of now, they are offering $3,000 rebates for the first 25,000 new battery electric and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles with a dutiable value of less than $68,750. This is a great incentive paired with stamp duty abolition, and you can save up to $5,540 and help boost EV sales in NSW to more than 50 per cent by 2031.
Additionally, there are more EV models to be launched. Here are some benefits you can get when you switch to an EV in Scone, NSW:
- Lower costs: Saving money and the environment is even more possible when you switch to an EV. This is because an EV is more cost-effective to operate and simpler to maintain.
- Meet the country’s emissions target: Australia has a goal to reach net zero by 2050. When you switch to an EV, you will play an important role in achieving this goal.
- More economic opportunities: Did you know that Australia is the largest exporter of lithium? Solar batteries are mainly made of lithium, which allows for more opportunities for you and the market.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Scone solar panels
You can get a shorter return on investment in Scone in two to three years. However, this will still depend on your consumption. In addition to that, system downtime will result in extended payback periods and costs for repairs or replacements that are covered under warranty.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.