On This Page
Toowoomba in Queensland (QLD), also known as the Garden City, is the largest inland city with a country charm. The city has plenty of parks and gardens complemented by heritage-listed buildings, urban coffee scene, and art deco. Residents of Toowoomba enjoys long summers, and being in the higher part of the state, it remains cool during the summer evenings, whilst winters are short here.
Around 19 per cent of homes in Toowoomba have rooftop solar panels installed on their roofs. The city receives 5.5 hours of ‘peak sun’ per day.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Toowoomba*
Total Installed Capacity in Toowoomba (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Toowoomba, QLD
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Toowoomba, QLD by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Toowoomba
Ready to switch to solar? There are a few things to know about your solar panels. A solar installer in Toowoomba will choose the right panels for you based on your energy needs, personal preference, and budget.
One thing to keep in mind here is that most of the solar installers in Toowoomba, QLD, already have a preferred solar panel manufacturer. So, if you’re particular about the brand of solar panel, then we highly recommend you get several quotes.
Energy Matters also recommends you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers because they are the most financially stable that can honour their manufacturer’s warranty. Additionally, they are known to produce higher-quality solar panels.
To know who the Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers are, you can refer to the Bloomberg New Energy Finance Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list released every year.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
The average solar system size for most homes in QLD is ideally 6.6 kW of PV panels with a 5 kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
So, if you consume a lot of energy, or perhaps, you are thinking of adding an electric vehicle or solar battery to your Toowoomba property, then it’s wise to install a bigger solar system.
Where possible, we recommend you size up, considering that there is an increase in electrification today that will have an effect on your future electricity needs. When you size up now, you can save more money.
Solar rebates and incentives in Toowoomba, QLD
As a homeowner in Toowoomba, you are entitled to solar rebates and incentives.
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
STCs can be redeemed for money that is deducted from the cost of the system. Consider it like a discount coupon that you get when you install a solar panel. However, the number of STCs you get will depend on the size of your system and its location.
Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs)
The FiT is what you get from your energy provider for the excess energy that your solar panels generate that is sent to the grid. It works like a passive income, which also means that with the FiT, your solar system in Toowoomba will pay for itself in a few years. Some energy retailers offer higher FiTs, which is why you should take the time to compare energy retailers.
Currently, the QLD state government doesn’t offer any solar rebates. However, stay up to date with solar rebates and incentives here.
The right solar system in Toowoomba
When choosing a solar system in Toowoomba, you need to ensure you’re getting the most suitable one for you. Hence, here are factors to consider:
- Roof condition: Your roof should be in good shape before you have solar panels installed in Toowoomba.
- Roof angle: The angle of your roof plays a crucial role in the efficiency of your solar panels. Ideally, your roof must be tilted at the same angle as the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: To get a better idea of the right solar system size for your Toowoomba home, know the amount of energy you consume every month. You can do this by referring to your previous monthly energy bills.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property or in your neighbour’s yard may affect the efficiency of your solar system in Toowoomba. As much as possible, trim the trees if you can. Your solar installer will also help you find the best location and position for your solar panels.
Your solar installer in Toowoomba will design a system that maximises your roof space whilst taking into account your current and future energy needs.
We recommend seeking at least 3 solar quotes to ensure that you are getting the best deal and a solar installer whom you can trust. Energy Matters has done most of the hard work for you! We have a nationwide network of trusted, local installers who are ready to contact you and provide a quote. Get up to 3 FREE quotes via our solar quote service.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Toowoomba?
A solar storage battery in Toowoomba will enable you to store excess energy from your solar panels. With it, you can use the stored energy at night or on a cloudy day.
If you think about it, it’s worth considering getting one for your home. Plus, a growing number of brands on the market offer solar battery. Here are the benefits of a home solar storage battery in Toowoomba:
- Energy independence: The electrical grid is not that stable anymore; plus, there is an increase in electricity rates. Hence, solar battery storage will help reduce your grid reliance because it can make your home fully self-sufficient.
- Blackout protection: Toowoomba blackouts rarely happen, but when they do, they can be a huge hassle. A lot of batteries, like the Tesla Powerwall, can power your house during these blackouts and even throughout the night. Your solar panels will continue to charge your battery throughout the day.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can help you save more money when you receive credits for sharing the power stored by your home solar battery in Toowoomba back to the grid.
The good news is that there a lot of brands and types of solar batteries that you can get in Toowoomba today.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Toowoomba
The Queensland Government continues to make EVs more affordable in Toowoomba. Queenslanders can get up to a $3,000 rebate for EVs priced at less than $58,000. Moreover, the QLD government also plans to have at least 288 EVs in their government fleet this year.
Also note that EVs and hybrids pay lower stamp duty compared ti fuel-powered vehicles. EVs up to $100,000 pay two per cent duty, whilst those over $100,000 pay four per cent duty.
Aside from these, QLD is speeding the roll-out of EV charging infrastructure. In fact, QLD has pioneered EV chargers in Australia with the Queensland Electric Super Highway, which runs almost the full length of the coast and is the longest intrastate network in the world.
Today, there are 10,000 EVs registered in QLD, and the government’s $45 million EV strategy will guarantee that 100 per cent of eligible QLD government passenger vehicles are zero-emission by 2025. The new TransLink-funded bus was also added to the fleet.
With the developments, there are more EV models that are expected to launch. So, if you’re thinking of getting one, here are the benefits you can get from an EV in Toowoomba:
- Lower costs: EVs are easier to run and more affordable to maintain.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia is on a mission to reach net-zero by 2050. When you switch to an EV, you get to be one of the people who helped the nation achieve its goal.
- More economic opportunities: Australia is the biggest exporter of lithium globally; and EV batteries are mainly made of lithium. Your EV will help maintain the lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Toowoomba solar panels
For a mid-range home in Toowoomba, the return on investment for your solar panels can take two to six years. Of course, this will still depend on your consumption and usage pattern. Think of it this way—the more you consume solar, the more you get to save on your energy bills.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.