On This Page
Known for its family-friendly beaches, riverside greenery, and surf swells, Tweed Heads is one of the most charming coastal towns in NSW. The pristine beaches here are enough to take your breath away. It also has a pleasant climate, making it an ideal spot for solar energy.
There are approximately 25 per cent of households in Tweed Heads with rooftop solar panels installed. The area received around 4.8 hours of ‘peak sun’ per day throughout the year.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Tweed Heads*
Total Installed Capacity in Tweed Heads (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Tweed Heads, NSW
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Tweed Heads, NSW by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Tweed Heads
There are a lot of factors that come into play to find the right solar panels for your Tweed Heads property. However, your preference, energy needs, and your budget are the three most important.
With the many solar installers in Tweed Heads, you won’t have a hard time finding one that can install rooftop solar panels. However, it can get so confusing!
Also, if the solar panel brand is an important factor for you, you should note that solar installers usually have their preferred solar panel manufacturer. Therefore, it makes sense to gather several quotes before deciding. That way, you can guarantee you can get the solar panels you want for your Tweed Heads property.
Here at Energy Matters, we recommend you select Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers for your solar panels. Why?
Tier 1 solar manufacturers are the ones rated by Bloomberg New Energy Finance every year. These manufacturers are financially stable enough to honour their warranties and often have higher-quality solar panels.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
Over the last ten years, solar panels in Tweed Heads have reduced significantly. The costs are also expected to go down more.
Now, when it comes to the solar panel size for your home, you need to consider your roof and the amount of energy allowable by your local electricity network.
For most homes in NSW, the solar system size is 6.6 kW with a 5 kW inverter. In the case that you consume a lot of energy, or perhaps, you have plans to add an Electric Vehicle (EV) or solar battery to your Tweed Heads property, then it’s best you get a bigger solar system size.
We strongly recommend sizing up as much as possible, especially since electrification in the country is set to increase. That way, your Tweed Heads property is ready, and you get to save more money in the long run.
Solar rebates and incentives in Tweed Heads, NSW
The NSW Government continues to support renewable energy in the state. Residents of Tweed Heads have access to solar rebates and incentives.
Swap for Solar
Low-income households in Tweed Heads may access the Swap for Solar. The program helps reduce energy bills by letting homeowners in Tweed Heads swap their Low-Income Household Rebate for a 3kW solar system, including the installation, at zero cost.
Rebate swap for energy upgrades
If you’re not eligible for a solar swap, then you can try a rebate swap for energy upgrades. This will let you get free home energy assessments for home appliance upgrades up to $4,000.
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
STCs are accessible to all Australians with solar systems installed in their homes. If you are in Tweed Heads and have solar panels installed, you get STCs.
Provided by the Australian federal government, the value of an STC depends on its supply and demand in the market. Every solar PV system is assigned a specific number of STCs, and their total value will be deducted from the overall value of your system.
Feed-in Tariff (FiT)
FiTs are paid by energy providers to homeowners when they export excess energy back into the grid. Therefore, it is the energy retailer who will set the FiT rate.
You don’t need to worry about applying for this as your chosen solar company will be the one to handle the application on your behalf and apply the value as a discount at the point of sale.
For example, if you have a 6.6kW solar system in Bendigo, you can expect a rebate of around $3,000.
The right solar system in Tweed Heads
There are more important factors to consider to get the best solar system for your Tweed Heads property:
- Roof condition: Your roof’s condition should be in its best shape before you have a solar installation in Tweed Heads. Make sure any necessary repairs are done first.
- Roof angle: The way your roof is angled is crucial to the overall efficiency of your solar panels. Ideally, the roof should be tilted at the same angle equal to the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: It’s essential to gauge your average energy consumption. Do this by looking into your past monthly energy bills.
- Surrounding shade: Trees, shrubbery, and structures can add shade to your rooftop and compromise the efficiency of your solar panels. With that, you need to ensure to find the best location or trim down trees and other structures that could shade a specific area of the roof. Your solar installer will also find the best location for your solar panels in Tweed Heads.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Tweed Heads, NSW?
In Tweed Heads, a home solar battery storage will let homeowners store energy generated buy the solar panels that they can use throughout the night or on overcast days. Whilst a solar storage battery isn’t the most affordable option today, it has a lot of benefits, such as :
- Energy independence: The electric grid is unstable and there is also an increase in electricity rates. Hence, solar battery storage will help reduce your reliance on the grid as it can make your home fully self-sufficient.
- Blackout protection: Blackouts in Tweed Heads are rare, but when they happen, they can be inconvenient. The Tesla Powerwall is among the many batteries today that can power your house whilst your street doesn’t have power. With solar panels in Tweed Heads, they will continue to charge your battery throughout the day, which you can use throughout the night.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can see you saving even more money. It will allow you to receive credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back to the grid.
Fortunately, there are many brands and types of solar batteries you can get in Tweed Heads.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Tweed Heads
The NSW Government is also making EVs more affordable by reducing the upfront cost of EVs. It is available for the first 25,000 EVs, by offering $3,000 rebates. However, the EV should have a dutiable value of less than $68,750.
This leads to more significant savings, plus, combined with the abolition of stamp duty; you can expect to save up to $5,540 when you get an EV today.
Here are the benefits you can get from an EV:
- Lower costs: It’s well-known that EVs are more affordable to run and maintain.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia is on a mission to reach net zero by 2050. You can participate in this by simply owning an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Did you know that Australia is the largest lithium exporter in the world? EV batters are made of lithium. Therefore, when you get an EV, you get to support the Australian lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Tweed Heads solar panels
A mid-range home in Tweed Heads can see a return on investment between two and six years. Your energy consumption and usage pattern are important considerations that could affect the time it takes to get your return on investment.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free solar quote and find out what payment plan options are available.