On This Page
Wangaratta in Victoria (VIC) has the best of both worlds—residents can experience a vibrant city life, whilst there is also a place for those seeking peace and the outdoors with beautiful national parks surrounding the area.
Approximately 37 per cent of homes in Wangaratta have rooftop solar panels installed. So, if you’re planning to switch to solar, there are a few things you need to know.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Wangaratta*
Total Installed Capacity in Wangaratta (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Wangaratta, VIC
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Wangaratta, VIC by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Wangaratta
The right solar installer will make a huge difference; so, it’s essential you take the time to look for a solar installer in Wangaratta. With the right one, you can guarantee that they will help you choose the right system based on your energy needs, budget, and personal preference.
However, most solar installers in Wangaratt have a preferred solar panel manufacturer already. So, if you have a brand in mind or you simply want to explore your options, take the time to compare multiple quotes first.
Energy Matters recommends you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers because they are the financially stable ones likely to honour their warranties. In addition, they are known to produce higher-quality solar panels.
To know who these manufacturers are, refer to Bloomberg’s New Energy Finance Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list, updated every year.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
For most homes in VIC, the average solar system size is 6.6 kW of panels with a 5 kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
Another recommendation that we have is to size up where possible. With the rapid pace of electrification that will impact your future energy needs, sizing up as early as now can save you a lot of money in the long run. In addition, it’s a great idea if you plan to purchase an electric vehicle or a solar battery in the future.
Solar rebates and incentives in Wangaratta VIC
Victoria Solar Homes Program
If you’re eligible, you can get the Solar Homes Program, which is a rebate of up to $1,400 of the solar system cost. Homeowners in Wangaratta with solar batteries may also get a rebate of up to $2,950, whilst those with hot water systems may get up to $1,000.
Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs)
FiTs are provided by energy retailers when homeowners send excess energy back to the grid. In Victoria, there are two types of FiTs:
- Single-rate FiT: Applies on rate for all energy produced.
- Time-varying FiT: Applies different rates at different times of the day.
The peak times are around 3 pm to 9 pm on weekdays to earn the highest FiT.
Small-Scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
STCs are acquired from the initial purchase price of the solar system. Therefore, when installing solar panels in Wangaratta, you can get a number of STCs tradeable for cash. However, the amount of STCs you get will vary on the expected solar system entry output throughout its lifespan.
The right solar system in Wangaratta
Here are the important factors to consider to find the best solar system in Wangaratta:
- Roof condition: Your roof should be in perfect condition before you have rooftop solar panels in Wangaratta.
- Roof angle: The roof should be tilted at the same angle as the latitude of your property’s location.
- Energy consumption: One of the ways to determine the number of solar panels you need for your home in Wangaratta is to look into your previous energy bills. With this, you will be able to gauge your monthly energy consumption.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property or in your neighbour’s yard may cause shade that will affect the efficiency of your solar panels. Trimming them down is a good idea, whilst your solar installer in Wangaratta will help you find the right location for your rooftop solar panels.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Wangaratta, VIC?
A solar battery for your Wangaratta home will let you store the energy you can use throughout the night, during blackouts or on overcast days. Some of its other benefits are:
- Energy independence: The grid is unstable, and the rising energy costs call for an alternative. Solar batteries will reduce your grid dependency whilst helping make your home fully self-sufficient.
- Blackout protection: Blackouts rarely happen in Wangaratta, but you don’t want to be inconvenienced by them when it happens. A solar battery, like the Tesla Powerwall, can power your home when there’s a blackout.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can help you save even more money. You can gain credits for sharing the power store by your battery back into the grid.
Currently, there are now many brands and types of solar batteries you can get in Wangaratta, VIC.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Wangaratta
Through the Zero Emissions Vehicle Roadmap, half of the light vehicle sales in VIC will be Zero Emissions Vehicles (ZEVs). Additionally, an increasing number of charging stations is a part of a broader initiative.
Therefore, this may result in EV uptake; with more EV models to be launched, it’s an exciting time to switch to EVs in Wangaratta. Here are some of the benefits you can get when you switch to an EV:
- Lower costs: You will find that EVs have lower running costs compared to fuel-power vehicles, and they are simpler to maintain.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia aims to reach net zero by 2050. You can help meet this target by switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Did you know that Australia is the biggest export of lithium globally? And EV batteries are mainly made of lithium. Therefore, when you buy an EV, you get to support the Australian lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Wangaratta solar panels
For a mid-range home in Wangaratta, you can expect a return on investment between two and six years. Keep in mind that how you consume energy and your usage pattern play important roles here.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free solar quote and find out what payment plan options are available.