On This Page
Wodonga is the largest city in North East Victoria. It is situated on the Murray River enclosed by rolling, green hills and valleys. The city is located strategically, which is why it is attractive to homeowners and businesses—it is near the North of Melbourne and South of Sydney.
On top of this, the city experiences a temperate climate, which is why it’s one of the best places for solar power. Around 36 per cent of homes in Wodonga have solar panels on their roofs.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Wodonga*
Total Installed Capacity in Wodonga (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Wodonga VIC
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Wodonga, VIC by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Wodonga
You want the best solar panels for your home in Wodonga, which is why you need to choose the right solar installer. Your solar installer in Wodonga will help you choose the right solar panels based on your personal preference, energy needs, and budget.
However, most solar installers in Wodonga today already have a preferred solar panel manufacturer. Hence, if you have a preferred brand, then it’s best that you get multiple quotes first.
We recommend you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers as they are the financially stable ones that can honour their manufacturer’s warranties. At the same time, they are known to produce higher quality solar panels.
You can refer to Bloomberg’s New Energy Finance Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list that is updated and released annually.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
Over the last decade, the costs of solar panels have reduced significantly. So, you don’t need to worry so much about your budget because solar panels have become more affordable. In addition, there are solar rebates and incentives given to Wodonga, VIC residents that will let them save more money and achieve a higher return on investment.
When choosing solar panels for your Wodonga home, you need to determine how many panels you need. You need to take several considerations, such as your roof condition, angle, and the amount your local electrical network will let you install. We will dive deeper into these details further in this article.
For most homes in Victoria, the average solar system size is 6.6 kW of panels with a 5 kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
Suppose you consume more energy than the average-sized home, or you’re thinking of adding an electric vehicle or solar battery, then it’s best you consider getting a bigger solar system as early as more.
Remember, electrification is here that will impact your energy needs. Make the right decision to upsize where possible to save more money in the long run.
Solar rebates and incentives in Wodonga, VIC
Wodonga residents are eligible for rebates and incentives for more cost savings in the future.
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
STCs are a form of rebate that is acquired from the initial purchase price of the solar system. When you install solar panels, you will receive a number of STCs, and then you can exchange them for around $40. However, the amount of STCs you get will depend on the expected solar system energy output throughout its lifespan.
Victoria Solar Homes Program
Eligible households in Wodonga, VIC may also get a rebate of up to $1,400 off the solar panel (PV) system cost. On the other hand, eligible households with solar battery may also get a battery rebate of up to $2,950, whilst those with solar hot water systems installed may get up to $1,000.
Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs)
When you have excess energy that you send back to the grid, then you will be compensated through FiTs for every kWh of power exported.
In Victoria, there are two types of FiTs—a single-rate tariff and a time-varying tariff. The singe-rate FiT applies one rate for all energy produced. Meanwhile, the time-varying FiT applies different rates at different times of the day.
You can earn the highest FiT at peak times, around 3 pm to 9 pm on weekdays.
The right solar system in Wodonga
Now, let’s dive deeper into the considerations you need to take to ensure your get maximum efficiency from your solar panels in Wodonga.
- Roof condition: Ensure your roof is in good shape before you have a solar system installed. You can hire a roof inspector for this.
- Roof angle: Ideally, the roof angle should be tilted at the same angle as the latitude of the location of your property.
- Energy consumption: Get a better idea of the number of solar panels in Wondoga you need by looking into previous energy bills. This will be helpful in determining the right size of solar system for your Wodonga home.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property or your neighbour’s may reduce the efficiency of your solar panels. Trimming them down is a good thing. In addition, your solar installer in Wodonga will help you find the best location for your solar panels.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Wodonga, VIC?
A home solar battery storage in Wodonga will let homeowners store generated energy by their solar panels, which can be used throughout the night or on cloudy days. Here are some other benefits of getting as solar storage battery in Wodonga:
- Energy independence: The electric grid is unstable, plus there is an increase at every rates. Therefore, solar battery storage will make you less reliant on the grid and even make your home self-sufficient.
- Blackout protection: Although blackouts rarely happen in Wodonga, it’s best to be prepared. The Tesla Powerwall is among the many batteries today that can power your home whilst your street doesn’t have power. Your solar panels in Wodonga will continue to charge your battery throughout the day.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can help you save even more money. It will let you receive credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back to the grid.
The good news is that there are now many brands and types of solar batteries you can get in Wodonga.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Wodonga
Through the Zero Emissions Vehicle Roadmap, half of the light vehicle sales in VIC will be Zero Emissions Vehicles (ZEVs). Additionally, an increasing number of charging stations is a part of a broader initiative.
Therefore, this may result in EV uptake; with more EV models to be launched, it’s an exciting time to switch to EVs in Wodonga. Here are some of the benefits you can get when you switch to an EV:
- Lower costs: You will find that EVs have lower running costs compared to fuel-power vehicles, and they are simpler to maintain.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia aims to reach net zero by 2050. You can help meet this target by switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Did you know that Australia is the biggest export of lithium globally? And EV batteries are mainly made of lithium. Therefore, when you buy an EV, you get to support the Australian lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Wodonga solar panels
For a mid-range home in Wodonga, you can expect a return on investment between two and six years. Keep in mind that how you consume energy and your usage pattern play important roles here.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.