On This Page
If you truly want to truly experience south Western Australia, then Albany is where you should go. Rich in history and complemented by a breathtaking coastline, the colonial buildings and restaurants around town can truly make you feel like you’re in a different part of the world.
It is home to King George Sound, one of the most beautiful harbours on the WA coast.
In Albany, around 13 per cent of households have rooftop solar panels installed. The town receives approximately 5.2 hours of peak sun per day.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Albany*
Total Installed Capacity in Albany (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Albany, WA
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Albany, WA by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Albany
If you are considering installing rooftop solar panels in Albany, then you need to take the time to compare solar panels. Your solar installer will help you choose based on your personal preference, energy needs, and budget.
Here’s the thing—solar panel installers in Albany usually have their preferred solar panel manufacturer already. So, if you’re particular about the brand, then we highly suggest you compare several quotes first.
In addition, Energy Matters recommends you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers for your solar panels. They are financially stable to honour warranties and produce higher-quality solar panels.
You can find these manufacturers by referring to the Bloomberg New Energy Finance Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list, which is updated and released yearly.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
Solar panel costs in Albany have reduced significantly. When determining the number of solar panels you should install on your property, you need to consider your roof and the amount your local electricity network will allow you to install.
For most homes in WA, the ideal solar system size is 6.6 kW for PV panels with a 5 kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
If you consume a lot of energy or plan to add an electric vehicle or solar battery to your home in Albany, then it’s a good idea to install a bigger solar system.
That’s why we also recommend sizing up where possible. With the increase in electrification that will impact your future energy needs, it makes sense to get a bigger system now. This will lead to further cost savings in the future.
Solar rebates and incentives in Albany, WA
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
Albany homeowners with rooftop solar panels are entitled to rebates, such as the STC. If you have solar panels or a solar hot water system, you can get STCs that you can trade on an open market or give to a solar installer in Albany to get a big discount on your solar system.
The amount of STCs you get will vary based on supply and demand. In addition, it will also be based on the size and location of your solar system.
Feed-in Tariff (FiT)
FiTs provide homeowners in Albany credit for every kWh of energy their solar system exports back into the grid. It is your energy retailer who will apply it, which will then reflect as a discount off your energy bills. Some energy retailers offer higher FiTs, and this is why is it highly recommended you compare energy retailers first.
The right solar system in Albany
When choosing a solar system in Albany, you need to ensure you are getting the right and best one for you. Therefore, there are more factors to consider, such as the ones listed below:
- Roof condition: Make sure your roof is in good condition before you get your solar panels in Albany installed.
- Roof angle: How your roof is angled is important as this will impact the efficiency of your solar panels. Ideally, the roof must be tilted at the same angle as the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: One of the most effective ways to determine the right solar system size in Albany is to get a clear idea of your monthly energy consumption. Check your monthly energy bills, and from there, you will get a better idea of your average consumption every month.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property or in your neighbour’s yard, can also have an effect on solar panel efficiency. Trimming them down is a good idea. On the other hand, your solar installer in Albany will help you find the best location and position of your solar panels.
In addition, your solar installer in Albany will design a system that will let you maximise roof space whilst considering your current and future energy needs.
We recommend seeking at least 3 solar quotes to ensure that you are getting the best deal and a solar installer whom you can trust. Energy Matters has done most of the hard work for you! We have a nationwide network of trusted, local installers who are ready to contact you and provide a quote. Get up to 3 FREE solar quotes via our solar quote service.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Albany?
Home solar batteries in Albany will enable you to store excess energy from your solar panels. Then, you can use this stored energy throughout the night or on cloudy days. When you think about it, you’ll have energy all-day long from solar power.
However, solar storage battery doesn’t come cheap, which is why many Albany homeowners today still need a little more convincing. We have listed some of its benefits to help you make the right decision:
- Energy independence: You are aware that the electric grid isn’t stable anymore and there is also a rapid increase in energy rates. You can reduce your dependency on the grid when you have a solar storage battery in Albany, WA. In addition, this can even make your home fully self-sufficient.
- Blackout protection: Although blackouts rarely happen in Albany, it doesn’t hurt to be prepared, because when they do happen, it will be a huge inconvenience. A lot of batteries, like the Tesla Powerwall, can power your home in Albany. Your solar panels will continue to charge your battery throughout the day.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can see you saving even more money because you will gain credits for sharing the power stored in your solar battery in Albany back to the grid.
Currently, there are many brands and types of solar batteries available in Albany.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Albany
Western Australia has subsidies in the form of a $59.1 million package, which includes $3,500 rebates for up to 10,000 buyers of new Battery-Electric vehicles (BEV) and Fuel-Cell Electric Vehicles (FCEV). Additionally, there is a $22.6 million investment in infrastructure to support EV.
Under this new package, the first 10,000 West Australians to buy a sub-$70,000 BEV or FCEV will get a $3,500 rebate from the WA government. The WA government also nominated a yearly fuel saving of $1,400 for the average motorist who switches from combustion power to a zero-emissions vehicle.
There is also a $4 million fund for the Public Transport Authority to trial the installation of EV charging infrastructure that will provide up to 20 bays per car park with commuter charging access at four key stations. The remainder of $2.9 million will be used to install eight new charging stations along National Highway 1. By 2027, WA will introduce a new distance-based road user charge of 2.5c per kilometre for BEV and FCEV.
Finally, the government offers a $200 rebate for home-charging an EV or plug-in hybrid as part of the WA’s Home Plan incentive.
With the WA Government’s continuous efforts to reach net-zero, there will be more EV models to be launched. Here are the benefits of EVs:
- Lower costs: EVs are easier and more affordable to run and maintain.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia is on a mission to reach net-zero by 2050. You can be a part of this when you switch to an EV today.
- More economic opportunities: Australia is the biggest exporter of lithium in the world, and EV batteries are mainly made of lithium. Your EV can help maintain the lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Albany solar panels
For a mid-range home in Albany, the return on investment is around two to six years. Still, this will depend on your consumption and usage pattern. Nonetheless, the more you consume solar, the more you save on energy bills.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.