On This Page
Alice Springs, or Mparntwe, in the Northern Territory boasts stunning landscapes and a thriving outback. It is famous for its locals and natural wonders, such as the Larapinta Trail and the MacDonnell Ranges surrounding it. Home to the Arrernte people, Alice springs is an incredible place to experience Aboriginal culture and customs.
With a temperate climate, it’s a great area for solar power, with around 16 per cent of homes having solar panels on their roofs. To note, Alice Springs gets around six hours of peak sun every day.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Alice Springs*
Total Installed Capacity in Alice Springs (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Alice Springs, NT
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Alice Springs, NT by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Alice Springs
If you’re one of the many homeowners who are considering going solar and installing rooftop solar panels in Alice Springs, there are several things to keep in mind. An Alice Springs installer can help you with this by taking into account your personal preference, budget, and energy needs.
However, like most solar installers in Australia, your installer in Alice Springs may already have a choice for a solar panel manufacturer. If you’re particular about the brand, we recommend comparing several installers quotes first.
In fact, they choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers because they are the ones that are stable enough financially to honour their warranties. They are also the ones who are known to provide higher-quality solar panels.
Bloomberg New Energy Finance Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer releases a list of Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers every year.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
For most homes in the Northern Territory, the average solar system size is 6.6 kW of PV panels with a 5kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
In case you consume a lot of energy or are thinking of adding a solar battery or an electric vehicle, you can initially get a bigger solar system size. In fact, we highly recommend it. Why?
Electrification is developing rapidly across the country, and this will impact your future energy needs. You can save more money and time by upsizing as early as now.
Solar rebates and incentives in Alice Springs, NT
To kickstart NT’s renewable energy industries, Australia’s Federal, State and Territory governments have introduced solar rebates and incentives.
Home & Business Battery Scheme (HBBS)
The NT Government offers HBBS that provides a $6,000 grant to households and businesses when they buy and install solar panels with eligible batteries and inverters. This also applies to Alice Springs residents who already have solar for batteries and inverters. However, the battery storage unit should be at least 7kWh in size.
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
STCs are redeemed for cash that is then deducted from the overall cost of the solar system in Alice Springs. You get STCs when you install a solar panel, and the number of STCs you get will be based on the size and location of your solar system.
Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs)
Energy retailers provide FiTs, and Alice Springs homeowners can get FiTs when they send excess energy from their solar panels back into the grid. This is also the reason you must compare energy retailers before you buy solar panels.
The right solar system in Alice Springs
As a homeowner in Alice Springs, you want to get the most out of your solar panels. After all, the upfront costs are significant. Therefore, here are factors you should consider:
- Roof condition: The condition of your roof should be perfect before installing solar panels. We recommend inspecting your roof before work is done.
- Roof angle: The angle of your roof can impact the efficiency of your solar panels. Ideally, it should be tilted at the same angle as the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: You should know your monthly energy consumption before you switch to solar. Look into your previous monthly energy bills to have an idea of your average energy consumption to prepare for the costs.
- Surrounding shade: Trees, whether on your property or in your neighbour’s yard, can impact the efficiency of your solar panels. Therefore, we suggest trimming back. Your solar installer in Alice Springs will also help you find the best location and position for your solar panels. In addition to this, your solar installer will design a system for you that will allow you to maximise your roof space whilst taking into account your current and future energy needs.
We recommend seeking at least 3 solar quotes to ensure that you are getting the best deal and a solar installer whom you can trust. Energy Matters has done most of the hard work for you! We have a nationwide network of trusted, local installers who are ready to contact you and provide a quote. Get up to 3 FREE solar quotes via our solar quote service.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Alice Springs?
With a solar storage battery in Alice Springs, you can use the excess energy generated by your solar panels during the day, at night or on cloudy days. Now, there are more solar battery brands you can choose from.
Check out the benefits of a solar storage battery in Alice Springs below:
- Energy independence: You can reduce your dependency on the unstable electricity grid when you have a solar battery in Alice Springs. Furthermore, you can also save more on energy bills.
- Blackout protection: Although blackouts don’t often happen in Alice Springs, it’s best to be prepared. A solar battery will ensure you have power even if the streets or the whole suburb has no power. As mentioned, more brands of solar batteries today, like the Tesla Powerwall, can power your home during blackouts.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can help you save money when you gain credits for sharing the power stored by your home solar battery in Alice Springs back into the grid.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Alice Springs
Northern Territory’s EV strategy and implementation plan were released last year. The plan will incentivise the purchase of new and used EVs through free registration and reduced stamp duty for five years as of July 2022.
The new plan will also see an expansion of EVs within government and agency fleets and an expansion of charging infrastructure, among others. By 2030, the NT Government fleet will have 200 EVs at a rate of 20 additional vehicles yearly.
Additionally, residents in smaller centres will benefit from a grants program.
Switching to an EV in Alice Springs is an excellent idea, and you get more benefits like the ones listed below:
- Lower costs: Running and maintaining an EV are more affordable.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia aims to reach net zero by 2050, and you can help by switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Australia is the biggest exporter of lithium in the world, and EV batteries are primarily made of lithium. When you have an EV, you can help maintain the lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Alice Springs solar panels
For a mid-range home in Alice Springs, the return on investment for your solar panels can take two to six years. Of course, this will still depend on your consumption and usage pattern. Think of it this way—the more you consume solar, the more you get to save on your energy bills.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers in Melbourne now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free solar quote and find out what payment plan options are available.