On This Page
Also known as the green wedge or “Melbourne’s lungs,” Eltham in Victoria has plenty of native tree parks filled with flowers and birds. There are also great restaurants and cafes here, along with excellent schools.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Eltham*
Total Installed Capacity in Eltham (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Eltham, VIC
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Eltham, VIC by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Eltham
To switch to solar energy in Eltham, you must first find the right installer. A good solar installer will consider your energy needs, budget, and personal preference. However, most solar installers have a preferred solar manufacturer, which is why you must take the time to compare multiple quotes first.
Energy Matters recommends you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers for your solar panels in Eltham. They are known to provide a higher quality of solar panels and will likely honour their warranties because they are more financially stable.
To know who these manufacturers are, you can check Bloomberg’s New Energy Finance’s Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list, which is updated every year.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
For most homes in Victoria, the size of solar systems is 6.6 kW with a 5 kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
In addition, with the rapid pace of electrification, your future energy needs are bound to change. This is why we recommend sizing up where possible, especially if you have plans to purchase a solar battery or an electric vehicle. Sizing up as early as now can save more money in the long run.
Solar rebates and incentives in Eltham, VIC
There are federal and state government rebates available for Eltham residents today. They are the following:
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
Eltham residents with rooftop solar systems will receive a certain amount of STCs, which will depend on the location and size of the solar system.
Solar Homes Program
You may also be eligible for a solar panel rebate through the Solar Homes Program. Homes with no solar system in Eltham installed previously may get the Victorian Solar Panel Rebate, which is at $1,400.
There is also a solar battery rebate that provides rebates for up to a maximum of $3,950. The rebate is limited to specific releases as set by the program.
In addition, Eltham households with a solar hot water system can get a rebate of up to $1,000 upon replacement of an existing hot water system that is at least three years old with a solar hot water system.
The Solar Homes Program interest-free loans for solar PV eligible households in which residents can get renewable energy benefits at no upfront cost. The loan may be paid back over four years.
Then, there is the solar for renters that will help renters reduce their energy bills. To be eligible for this, landlords should have an agreement with their tenants to share the installation costs.
Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs)
If you send excess energy generated by your solar panels in Eltham to the grid, then you will get FiT. It is your energy retailer who will provide you with the FiT that will result to a credit on your energy bill.
The right solar system in Eltham
There are factors to consider to ensure you get the right solar system in Eltham. What are they?
- Roof condition: Rooftop solar panels in Eltham should be installed on a good roof. Have your roof inspected first before you install a solar system.
- Roof angle: Your roof must be tilted at the same angle equal to the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: To know the number of solar panels you need for your home, look into your previous energy bills. This will give you an idea of your average monthly consumption.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property or in your neighbour’s yard may impact the efficiency of your solar system. Trim down your trees as much as possible. In addition, your solar installer will find the best possible location for your solar system in Eltham.
We recommend seeking at least 3 solar quotes to ensure that you are getting the best deal and a solar installer whom you can trust. Energy Matters has done most of the hard work for you! We have a nationwide network of trusted, local installers who are ready to contact you and provide a quote. Get up to 3 FREE quotes via our solar quote service.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Eltham?
A home solar battery in Eltham will enable you to store excess energy that you can use during blackouts, on overcast days or throughout the night. Some of its benefits are:
- Energy independence: You can reduce your grid dependency and even make your home fully self-sufficient when you have a solar battery in Eltham.
- Blackout protection: Blackouts in Eltham rarely occur, but when they do, they can be inconvenient. A solar battery, like the Tesla Powerwall, can power your home when there is a blackout.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can see you save even more money. It will allow you to receive credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back to the grid.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Eltham
Through the Zero Emissions Vehicle Roadmap in Victoria, half of the light vehicle sales will be Zero Emissions Vehicles (ZEVs) that is supported by a $100 million package of programs and policies that ensures the state becomes a leader in the adoption of ZEVs in Australia. With this, it will put Victoria in a more advantageous position to move towards technology.
The Greens Electric Vehicle Rapid Updates Plan will also help Victoria even become more sustainable. With these plans in place, it makes a lot of sense to switch to EVs. Here are some of the benefits you can get when you switch to EVs:
- Lower costs: EVs are simpler to maintain and more cost-effective to run.
- Meet the country’s emissions target: Australia is committed to reaching net zero by 2050. Switching to EV allows you to participate in this significant change.
- More economic opportunities: You can take advantage of a stronger economy and get significant savings when you switch to EVs. Australia is the biggest lithium exporter globally, and solar batteries are mainly made of lithium. When you switch to EV, you will be investing in Australian jobs.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Eltham solar panels
If you own a mid-range solar system in Eltham, the return on investment is between two and six years. Remember that your energy consumption and usage pattern will play important roles here, which you should also consider when it comes to your ROI. Nevertheless, you can reap the rewards of going solar in the coming years.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers in Melbourne now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.