On This Page
Known for its rare black opal and mining history, Lightning Ridge in New South Wales (NSW) has a lot to offer. Besides the beautiful gems that you can find here, there are many outback wonders you can experience in town.
The town has a mix of sophistication and eccentricity. Also, what sets it apart from major opal centres in Australia is that it is accessible and attracts thousands of visitors every year.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Lightning Ridge*
Total Installed Capacity in Lightning Ridge (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Lightning Ridge, NSW
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Lightning Ridge, NSW by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Lightning Ridge
There is around 19 per cent of households in Lightning Ridge with rooftop solar panels, as the town experiences 4.8 hours of peak sun per day.
The first step in switching to solar is to find a solar installer. With the right solar installer in Lightning Ridge, you can look forward to the best solar system based on your energy needs, budget, and your personal preference. However, most solar installers in Lightning Ridge have a preferred solar panel manufacturer.
With this, you should take the time to shop around to find the right solar installers in Lightning Ridge.
Energy Matters recommends you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers because they can honour their warranties. They are also known to produce higher-quality solar panels.
You can refer to Bloomberg’s New Energy Finance Tier 1 Solar PV Module Manufacturer List, which is updated every year.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local solar installers in Melbourne to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs. An average home in NSW has a 6.6 kW solar system with a 5 kW inverter. However, we recommend sizing up where possible with further electrification that is happening in Australia today.
When you get a bigger solar system as early as now, you are better prepared to meet your future energy needs. At the same time, it’s a great move if you plan to purchase an electric vehicle or a solar battery for your home in Lightning Ridge NSW.
Solar rebates and incentives in Lightning Ridge, NSW
Swap for Solar
Low-income households in Lightning Ridge may be eligible for Swap for Solar, which will help them reduce energy bills. You only need to swap your Low-Income Household Rebate for a 3kW solar system, which includes installation at zero cost.
Rebate swap for energy upgrades
Those not eligible for Swap for Solar may get a rebate swap for energy upgrades. This will give you free home energy assessments for home appliance upgrades of up to $4,000.
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
STCs are provided by the Australian federal government to households and businesses with renewable energy systems. The value of an STC will depend on the supply and demand in the market.
So, every solar system in Lightning Ridge is assigned a specific number of STCs, and the total value of STCs will be deducted from the overall value of the solar system.
Feed-in Tariff (FiT)
Energy retailers provide those who export excess energy back into the grid with FiTs. Hence, it is your energy retailer that will set the FiT rate.
The right solar system in Lightning Ridge
There are several factors to consider to ensure you get the best rooftop solar panels in Lightning Ridge, NSW:
- Roof condition: Your roof should be in perfect condition before rooftop solar panels are installed. It’s best to hire a professional roof inspector for this.
- Roof angle: Ideally, the angle of the roof must be tilted at the same angle as the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: Determine the number of solar panels you need in Lightning Ridge by looking into your previous energy bills. Doing so will help you get a clear idea of your average monthly consumption.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property or in your neighbour’s yard may cause shade. This shade may impact the efficiency of your solar system. The best thing to do is to trim them down, whilst your solar installer in Lightning Ridge will find the best spot for your solar system.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Lightning Ridge, NSW?
When you have a solar battery in Lightning Ridge, you can store energy generated by your rooftop solar panels. Then, you will have energy throughout the night, on overcast days or during blackouts. Other benefits of a solar battery in Lightning Ridge are:
- Energy independence: You can reduce your grid dependency when you have a solar battery in Lightning Ridge. Moreover, you can make your home fully self-sufficient.
- Blackout protection: Blackouts rarely occur in Lightning Ridge, but they can happen. With a solar battery, like the Tesla Powerwall, you can still have power during a blackout.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can see you saving even more money. It will let you receive credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back to the grid.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Lightning Ridge
The NSW Government is reducing the upfront cost for the first 25,000 eligibles EVs sold by offering $3,000 rebates. To be eligible, the EV should have a dutiable value of less than $68,750. Combined with the abolition of stamp duty, it will save consumers up to $5,540.
Here are the benefits you can get from an EV:
- Lower costs: EVs are more affordable to run and maintain. Therefore, you can save more money with an EV.
- Help meet the counter’s emissions target: Australia aims to reach net zero by 2050. You can be a part of this by simply driving an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Australia is the largest lithium exporter in the world, and EV batteries are primarily made of lithium. When you have an EV, you also support the country’s lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Lightning Ridge solar panels
A mid-range home in Lightning Ridge can see a return on investment between two and six years. However, it’s essential to consider your energy consumption and usage pattern.
Get rooftop solar panels in Forster. Energy Matters has a nationwide network of trusted local solar installers in Lithgow that you can access today that can provide you with up to 3 Free Solar Quotes. Complete our quick quiz and switch to solar in Port Macquarie today.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free solar quote and find out what payment plan options are available.