On This Page
Nelson Bay in New South Wales (NSW) on the southern shoreline of Port Stephens is known to be the most important township because its marina and wharf are the take-off points for ferries across Tea Gardens. The coastal resort town offers a close-to-nature experience with whale-watching tours, dolphin adventures, sunset cruises, and more.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Nelson Bay*
Total Installed Capacity in Nelson Bay (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Nelson Bay, NSW
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Nelson Bay, NSW by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Nelson Bay
Switching to solar energy has never been better in Nelson Bay, NSW, with many homeowners and business owners installing solar systems today. Around 14 per cent of households in Nelson Bay have rooftop solar panels.
So, if you want to make the switch, then the first thing to do is find the right solar installer in Nelson Bay. The right solar installer in Nelson Bay will consider your energy needs, personal preference, and budget.
Here at Energy Matters, we recommend you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers because they produce higher-quality solar panels and can honour their warranties.
You can check Bloomberg’s New Energy Finance Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list, which is updated annually.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
Most homes in NSW have a solar system size of 6.6 kW with a 5 kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
Another thing we recommend is to get a bigger solar system initially; this is considering the rapid pace of electrification in the country that will impact your future energy needs.
You can save more money when you get a bigger solar system in Nelson Bay as early as now. Also, it can accommodate your energy needs in the future, especially when you purchase an electric vehicle or a solar battery.
Solar rebates and incentives in Nelson Bay, NSW
Swap for Solar
Low-income households in Nelson Bay can still get a solar system through the Swap for Solar. It works by swapping the Low-Income Household Rebate in exchange for a 3kW solar system, which includes installation at zero cost.
Rebate swap for energy upgrades
If you’re not eligible for a Swap for Solar, you can still take advantage of a rebate swap for energy upgrades. Here, you can get free home energy assessments for home appliance upgrades up to $4,000.
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
When you have rooftop solar panels in Nelson Bay, you can get STCs. STCs can be traded for a discount on the upfront installation of your rooftop solar panels.
Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs)
Your energy retailer will be the one to provide you with FiTs. You get FiTs when you export excess energy back into the grid from your solar system.
The right solar system in Nelson Bay
You need to consider a few things before you install rooftop solar panels in Nelson Bay, NSW. They are the following:
- Roof condition: It’s crucial that your roof is in perfect condition before installing rooftop solar panels in Nelson Bay.
- Roof angle: Ideally, your roof should be tilted at the same angle as the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: To know the number of solar panels you need for your home in Nelson Bay, it’s important you have an idea of your average monthly energy consumption. You can find this information by looking into your previous energy bills.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property may cause shade that could impact the efficiency of your solar system. You can trim them down, whilst your solar installer in Nelson Bay will help you find the perfect spot for your solar system.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Nelson Bay, NSW?
A solar battery in Nelson Bay will let you store energy generated by your rooftop solar panels you can use throughout the night, on overcast days or during blackouts.
- Energy independence: Reduce your grid dependency when you have a solar batter in Nelson Bay. You can even make your home fully self-sufficient with it.
- Blackout protection: Have power even during a blackout with a solar battery, like the Tesla Powerwall.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can see you saving even more money as you get credits for sharing the power stored by your battery.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Nelson Bay
The NSW Government is also making EVs more affordable by reducing their upfront costs. For the first 25,000 eligible EVs sold, NSW residents can get $3,000 rebates. However, the EV should have a dutiable value of less than $68,750. Combined with the abolition of stamp duty, consumers can up to $5,540.
Here are the benefits of EVs:
- Lower costs: EVs are more affordable to run and maintain. With this, you can save more money when you have an EV.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia aims to reach net zero by 2050. You can participate in this by switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Australia is the largest lithium exporter in the world. EV batteries are mainly made of lithium. Therefore, when you get an EV, you get to support the Australian lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Nelson Bay solar panels
A mid-range home in Nelson Bay can see a return on investment between two and six years. However, it’s essential to consider your energy consumption and usage pattern.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.