On This Page
Surrounded by beaches and breathtaking nature reserves and wetlands, Newcastle NSW is a fantastic place to visit with the family. As the second most populated city in New South Wales, you can expect world-class restaurants and entertainment. The subtropical climate means that Newcastle is exposed to its fair share of sunshine – which makes it an ideal place for installing a solar PV system.
551 small-small solar systems are installed in Newcastle in 2022, and 15.9 per cent are residential rooftop solar panels. Newcastle receives around 5.3 peak sun hours daily on average throughout the year.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Newcastle*
Total Installed Capacity in Newcastle (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Newcastle, NSW
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Newcastle, NSW by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Newcastle
The solar panels your solar installer selects will be chosen based on your personal preference, energy needs, and budget. Most solar installers will use their preferred solar panel manufacturer, which is why getting multiple quotes is important if the brand of solar panel is an important factor for you.
Energy Matters recommends that you select Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers for your solar panels. Tier 1 manufacturers produce solar panels of a higher quality and they will be more likely to honour their manufacturer’s warranty compared to lower-tiered manufacturers. Every year, Bloomberg New Energy Finance releases their Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list.
In addition, Energy Matters has partnered with trusted solar panel manufacturers that we are proud to recommend to our customers. These recommended manufacturers are:
Whether you know which panels you want to install on your home or business, or you’d rather discuss your options, we recommend that you begin your solar journey by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. Our network of trusted, local installers will provide personalised quotes for a system that will meet your current and future needs.
The good news is that solar panel prices have reduced significantly over the last 10 years. When determining the number of solar panels you need to install for your Newcastle property, you should consider your roof and the amount your local electricity network will allow you to install.
For most homes in NSW, the solar system size is 6.6 kW of panels with a 5 kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
Additionally, if you use a lot of electricity, or you are thinking of adding an electric vehicle or battery to the property in the coming years, consider installing a bigger solar system.
As previously stated, your solar installer will factor in your current and future needs. We also recommend sizing up, where possible. Your future electricity needs will undoubtedly increase with electrification and a move to Electric Vehicles. Adding solar panels, or completely upgrading your solar PV system in the future, are expenses you wish to avoid. For this reason, sizing up is recommended.
Solar rebates and incentives in Newcastle, NSW
Newcastle is one of the best places to have solar power, thanks to its daily average exposure to the sun, which is why many homeowners are making the switch to solar. The switch to solar is made even easier with the rebates and incentives available to Newcastle homeowners. So, what are the rebates and incentives you can get in Newcastle?
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
The Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs) program is an incentive provided by the federal government. They are tradable that you or your installer can exchange for a discount on the solar panels in Newcastle you want to install. However, the STCs you will get will depend on the size of your solar system. Most households opt to receive a point of sale discount off the total cost of their system – usually resulting in thousands of dollars saved. Your solar installer will take care of all of this for you.
Solar for Low-Income Households
In addition to the federal government incentive, the Solar for Low-Income Households rebate aims to reduce energy bills for low-income houses. Residents of low-income households can forego the rebate and install a 3kW solar system at zero cost.
NSW also provides an appliance replacement scheme for low-income houses, offering a 50 per cent off the cost of a new fridge and 50 per cent off for a new TV—as long as these appliances have a high energy rating.
Feed-in Tariff (FiT)
There is also a solar Feed-in Tariff (FiT) that Newcastle residents can take advantage of. FiTs can translate into money for the excess energy you send to the grid. Your electricity retailer will provide the FiT and each retailer offers their own rate. For this reason, we recommend comparing energy retailers to ensure that you are getting the best FiT for your home.
The right solar system in Newcastle
When choosing the right solar system in Newcastle, you will need to consider a few factors, such as:
- Roof condition: Before you install solar panels in Newcastle, make sure your roof is in good shape. Any repairs or renovations should be completed prior to solar panel installation.
- Roof angle: How your roof is angled also plays a crucial role in how efficient your solar panels will be. Ideally, it should be tilted at the same angle equal to the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: How much energy do you consume every month? Determine this by looking into how much energy you consume every month.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property, or in your neighbour’s yard, may drastically reduce the efficiency of your system. Ensure that any trees that may pose a problem are trimmed back. Your solar installer will locate the best possible position for your panels and take into account shaded areas.
Your solar installer will design a system that best utilises your roofspace whilst taking into consideration your current and future energy needs.
We recommend seeking at least 3 solar quotes to ensure that you are getting the best deal and selecting a solar installer whom you can trust. Energy Matters has done most of the hard work for you! We have a nationwide network of trusted, local installers who are ready to contact you and provide a quote. Get up to 3 FREE quotes via our solar quote service.
Do You Need Solar Battery Storage in Newcastle, NSW?
Home battery storage can let you store electricity generated by your solar panels in Newcastle. You can then use this stored energy at night or on overcast days. It is worth considering getting a solar storage battery, and there are various brands that offer it.
While an expensive option, it is worth considering a solar battery for a number of reasons:
- Energy independence: With increasing electricity rates, and reduced reliability of the electrical grid, energy independence has never been as important or accessible. Solar battery storage reduces reliance on the grid – with many homes fully self-sufficient.
- Blackout protection: Blackouts, while uncommon in metro areas, can be disastrous – let alone inconvenient. Many solar batteries, such as the Tesla Powerwall, will power your house while the rest of your street is without power. Your solar panels will continue to charge your battery throughout the day for use through the night.
- Saves you money: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can see you saving even more money by receiving credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back to the grid.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Newcastle
he NSW Government continues to make EVs more affordable by reducing the upfront cost for the first 25,000 eligible EVs sold. Currently, they are offering $3,000 rebates for the first 25,000 new battery electric and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles with a dutiable value of less than $68,750. This is an excellent incentive, paired with stamp duty abolition, which will help consumers save up to $5,540 and speed up EV sales in NSW to more than 50 per cent by 2031.
Furthermore, more EV models are to be launched, making it even more exciting. Here are some of the benefits you can expect when you switch to EV:
- Lower costs: Saving money and the environment is possible when switching to EV. An EV is more cost-effective to run, plus it’s simpler to maintain. Therefore, you get to save money and time and help save the environment.
- Meet the country’s emissions target: Australia is on a mission to reach net zero by 2050. When you switch to EV, you will play a vital role in achieving this goal.
- More economic opportunities: Did you know that Australia is the largest exporter of lithium? Solar batteries are primarily made of lithium, which opens many opportunities for you and the market.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Newcastle solar panels
You can expect a shorter return on investment in Newcastle in two to three years, but this will depend on your consumption. Also, system downtime will result in extended payback periods and costs for repairs or replacements that are not covered under warranty.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.