On This Page
Portland in Victoria (VIC) is a holiday destination and the only deep-water sea port between Adelaide and Port Phillip. Hence, it is a major centre for the sea transport of goods. Portland is also home to many beautiful beaches.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Portland*
Total Installed Capacity in Portland (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Portland, VIC
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Portland, VIC by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Portland
If you’re considering installing rooftop solar panels in Portland, the first step is finding the right installer. The right solar installer in Portland will consider your energy needs, budget, and personal preference, which will guarantee the best solar system for your property.
However, most solar installers in Portland have a preferred solar panel manufacturer. So, if you are particular about the brand, you need to take the time to compare multiple quotes first.
Energy Matters recommends you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers because they are financially stable that can honour their warranties. They also produce high-quality solar panels.
You can refer to Bloomberg’s New Energy Finance Tier 1 PV Model Manufacturer list, which is updated every year.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
For most homes in Victoria, the average solar system size is 6.6 kW of panels with a 5kW inverter. Homeowners can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
We also recommend sizing up where possible due to the rapid pace of electrification, which will significantly change your future energy needs. This will also better accommodate should you have plans to purchase a solar battery or an electric vehicle. You can save more money in the long run by sizing up now.
Solar rebates and incentives in Portland, VIC
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
STCs are provided to all Australians. These are rebates applied to your solar system’s initial purchase price. When you install rooftop solar panels in Portland, you are entitled to a number of STCs that you can exchange for cash. However, the amount of STCs you get will vary depending on the expected solar system energy output through its lifespan.
Victoria Solar Homes Program
Households in Portland that are eligible may get a rebate of up to $1,400 off on the overall cost of their solar system. On the other hand, those will solar batteries may also get a rebate of up to $2,950, whilst those with solar hot water systems can get up to $1,000.
Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs)
FiTs are given when you send excess energy back to the grid for every kWh of power exported. There are two types of FiTs in Victoria:
- Single-rate FiT: Applies one rate for all energy produced.
- Time-varying FiT: Applies different rates at different times of the day.
The peak times are around 3 pm to 9 pm on weekdays when you can earn the highest FiT.
The right solar system in Portland
There are factors to consider to get the right solar system in Portland. They are the following:
- Roof condition: Your roof should be in perfect condition before you install rooftop solar panels in Portland.
- Roof angle: The roof angle must be tilted at the same angle as the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: To determine the number of solar panels you need for your home in Portland, check your previous energy bills. This will give you an idea of your monthly energy consumption.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property or in your neighbour’s yard may cause shade that may impact the efficiency of your solar panels in Portland. Trimming them down is recommended. Also, your solar installer in Portland will help you find the best location for your solar system.
Do you need a solar battery in Portland, VIC?
A solar battery in Portland will enable you to store excess energy you can use during blackouts, overcast days or throughout the night. Other benefits of a solar battery in Portland include:
- Energy independence: Reduce your grid dependency and make your home fully self-sufficient when you have a solar battery in Portland.
- Blackout protection: Blackouts rarely happen in Portland, but they can be extremely inconvenient when they do. A solar battery in Portland, like the Tesla Powerwall, can power your home during blackouts.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP)can help you save even more money. You gain credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back into the grid.
Fortunately, there are now many brands and types of solar batteries you can choose from in Portland, VIC.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Portland
Through the Zero Emissions Vehicle Roadmap, half of the light vehicle sales in VIC will be Zero Emissions Vehicles (ZEVs). Additionally, an increasing number of charging stations is a part of a broader initiative.
Therefore, this may result in EV uptake; with more EV models to be launched, it’s an exciting time to switch to EVs in Portland. Here are some of the benefits you can get when you switch to an EV:
- Lower costs: You will find that EVs have lower running costs compared to fuel-power vehicles, and they are simpler to maintain.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia aims to reach net zero by 2050. You can help meet this target by switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Did you know that Australia is the biggest export of lithium globally? And EV batteries are mainly made of lithium. Therefore, when you buy an EV, you get to support the Australian lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Portland solar panels
For a mid-range home in Portland, you can expect a return on investment between two and six years. Keep in mind that how you consume energy and your usage pattern play important roles here.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers in Melbourne now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.