On This Page
Preston is a suburb in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 10 kilometres north of Melbourne’s Central Business District. It is a diverse suburb with a population from many different cultural backgrounds. The suburb has a number of community facilities, including parks, playgrounds, and sporting fields.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Preston*
Total Installed Capacity in Preston (kW)*
*As of March 2023
Average solar production in Preston, VIC
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Preston, VIC by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Preston
The price of solar energy has decreased in Preston. The Victorian government is still trying to make renewable energy more appealing and available. According to a report by the Clean Energy Regulator (CER), the state will have installed more than 650,000 small-scale PV systems by the start of 2023.
This demonstrates that it is currently a smart decision to switch to solar energy. Your primary objective should be to locate Preston’s best solar installer.
Energy Matters recommends you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers in Preston. They have high bankability and can honour their warranties. Also, they produce higher-quality solar panels.
You can check out Bloomberg’s New Energy Finance Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list, which is updated annually.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
Most homes in Victoria come with a rooftop solar system with 6.6 kW PV panels and a 5 kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
Consider getting a bigger solar system in Preston now because of the electrification that’s sweeping across the country. A bigger solar system will lead to cost savings and will prepare you for the impact of electrification on your future energy needs.
Solar rebates and incentives in Preston, VIC
Victoria Solar Homes Program
The Victoria Solar Homes Program anticipates installing rooftop solar panels on one million households over a ten-year span. As a result, this subsidy provides qualified homeowners with significant savings:
- Solar panels: $1,400
- Solar batteries: $2,950
- Solar water heaters: $1,000
Small-Scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
Australians who have rooftop solar systems can apply for STCs, a form of rebate, to reduce the upfront installation expenses. Depending on the system’s expected lifetime production, the number of STCs varies.
Feed-in Tariff (FiT)
Energy retailers provide FiTs when homeowners export excess energy into the grid. There are two types of FiTs in Victoria:
- Single-rate FiT: Applies one rate for all energy produced
- Time-varying FiT: Applies different rates at different times of the day
It’s essential to be mindful of peak times, which are usually between 3 pm and 9 pm on weekdays to get the most out of your FiTs.
The right solar system in Preston
When installing rooftop solar panels in Preston, following important factors must be taken into account:
- Roof condition: Your roof should be in excellent condition before installing rooftop solar panels in Preston.
- Roof angle: The slope of your solar panels should match or be equal to the latitude angle at which your home is located.
- Energy usage: To determine how many solar panels you need in Preston, look at your prior energy bills. You’ll then be aware of how much energy you use each month.
- Surrounding shade: Trees that surround your property significantly add to the shade, which could lower the efficiency of your solar panels. You can trim them down and your Preston solar installer will work with you to choose the best location for your rooftop solar panels.
Do you need a solar battery in Preston, VIC?
Using a solar battery in Preston to store the energy generated by your rooftop solar panels has the following benefits:
- Energy independence: You can entirely disconnect your home from the grid and/or minimize your need for it by installing a solar battery in Preston.
- Protection against blackouts: A number of batteries, including the Tesla Powerwall, allow for blackout protection in Preston.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP)) can help you save even more money. You can gain credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back to the grid.
You can now get many brands and types of solar batteries in Preston, VIC.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Preston
Through the Zero Emissions Vehicle Roadmap, half of the light vehicle sales in VIC will be Zero Emissions Vehicles (ZEVs). Additionally, an increasing number of charging stations is a part of a broader initiative.
Therefore, this may result in EV uptake; with more EV models to be launched, it’s an exciting time to switch to EVs in Narre Warren. Here are some of the benefits you can get when you switch to an EV:
- Lower costs: You will find that EVs have lower running costs compared to fuel-powered vehicles, and they are simpler to maintain.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia aims to reach net zero by 2050. You can help meet this target by switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Did you know that Australia is the biggest export of lithium globally? And EV batteries are mainly made of lithium. Therefore, when you buy an EV, you get to support the Australian lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Preston solar panels
For a mid-range home in Preston, you can expect a return on investment between two and six years. Remember how you consume energy, and your usage pattern plays an important role here.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.