On This Page
Blackburn in Victoria (VIC) is a sleepy suburb that delivers a peaceful suburban lifestyle to its residents. Despite the tranquillity in the suburb, residents can always get a taste of the culture of Melbourne due to its close proximity. Leafy trees line the streets, complemented by beautiful 1930s brick and timber houses. Vast green spaces, such as the Blackburn Lake Sanctuary, offer individuals and families enjoy the great outdoors.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Blackburn*
Total Installed Capacity in Blackburn (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Blackburn, VIC
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Blackburn, VIC by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Blackburn
More and more homeowners are switching to solar in Victoria. In Blackburn, it’s noticeable how many residents are installing rooftop solar panels on their properties.
If you’re already considering making the switch, your first step is to find the right solar installer in Blackburn, VIC. With the right solar installer in Berwick, your energy needs, personal preference, and budget will be considered.
On the other hand, Blackburn has an overwhelming number of solar installers today. It’s easy to jump on the first offer you find, but we highly recommend you take your time to compare multiple quotes.
Energy Matters recommends you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers. They are the ones who are known to produce higher-quality solar panels and honour their warranties.
You can check out Bloomberg’s New Energy Finance Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list, which is updated annually.
Keep in mind that most solar installers in Blackburn have a preferred solar panel manufacturer. If you’re particular about the brand, you need to take your time to compare several quotes first.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
Most homes in Victoria are equipped with 6.6 kW solar PV panels with a 5 kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
We recommend that you get a bigger solar system in Blackburn initially. This is to prepare for the rapid electrification in Australia that will impact your future energy needs.
With a bigger solar system in Blackburn, VIC, you can save more money and still have more room for other renewable energy systems, such as electric vehicles and solar batteries.
Solar rebates and incentives in Blackburn, VIC
Victoria continues to make efforts that allow for more affordable solar energy through rebates and incentives. They are the following:
Small-scale Technology Certificates
STCs are given to all Australians with a solar system on their properties. They can be traded for cash, but the amount of STCs you get will be based on the solar system output throughout its lifespan.
Victoria Solar Homes Program
Blackburn residents who are eligible for the Victoria Solar Homes Program may get the following rebates:
- Solar panels cost: $1,400
- Solar batteries: $2,950
- Hot water systems: $1,000
Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs)
It is your energy retailer who will provide you FiTs. In Blackburn, you get FiTs when you export excess energy back into the grid.
There are two types of FiTs in Victoria:
- Single-rate FiTs: Applies one rate for all energy produced.
- Time-varying FiTs: Applies different rates at different times of the day.
On weekdays, you can earn higher FiTs during peak times between 3 pm and 9 pm.
The right solar system in Blackburn
Another thing you should do is consider a few factors when you install rooftop solar panels in Blackburn:
- Roof condition: The roof must be in perfect condition before installing rooftop solar panels in Blackburn.
- Roof angle: Ideally, the angle of the roof must be tiled at the same angle as the latitude of your property’s location.
- Energy consumption: To know the number of solar panels in Blackburn you need, you need to know your monthly average energy consumption. You can get this information by looking into previous energy bills.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property may affect the efficiency of your rooftop solar panels in Blackburn. Trimming them down is what you can do, whilst your solar installer in Blackburn will help you find the right solar system for you.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Blackburn, VIC?
When you have a solar battery in Blackburn, you can store energy generated by your rooftop solar panels. As a result, you can have power throughout the night, on overcast days or during blackouts.
- Energy independence: When you have a solar battery in Blackburn, you no longer have to rely on the unstable grid. In fact, you can even make your home fully self-sufficient.
- Blackout protection: A lot of solar batteries, like the Tesla Powerwall, are one of the best ones you can get in Blackburn today. With a solar battery in Blackburn, you are protected from blackouts.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can help you save even more money. You can gain credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back into the grid.
There are now many brands and types of solar batteries you can get in Blackburn, VIC.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Blackburn
Through the Zero Emissions Vehicle Roadmap, half of the light vehicle sales in VIC will be Zero Emissions Vehicles (ZEVs). Additionally, an increasing number of charging stations is a part of a broader initiative.
Therefore, this may result in EV uptake; with more EV models to be launched, it’s an exciting time to switch to EVs in Blackburn. Here are some of the benefits you can get when you switch to an EV:
- Lower costs: You will find that EVs have lower running costs compared to fuel-power vehicles, and they are simpler to maintain.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia aims to reach net zero by 2050. You can help meet this target by switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Did you know that Australia is the biggest export of lithium globally? And EV batteries are mainly made of lithium. Therefore, when you buy an EV, you get to support the Australian lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Blackburn solar panels
For a mid-range home in Blackburn, you can expect a return on investment between two and six years. Keep in mind that how you consume energy and your usage pattern play important roles here.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers in Melbourne now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.