On This Page
Derby in Western Australia (WA) is an outback town that is the gateway to the Western Kimberley Region. It is surrounded by diverse and unique natural surroundings.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Derby*
Total Installed Capacity in Derby (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Derby, WA
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Derby, WA by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Derby
If you’re planning to make the switch to solar in Derby, WA, the first thing to do is to find a solar installer. With the boom of solar energy in Australia today, there are a lot of solar installers to choose from. You only need to find the right one that will suit your needs.
Energy Matters recommends you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers because they produce higher-quality solar panels and can honour their warranties.
You can check out Bloomberg’s New Energy Finance Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list, which is updated every year.
Keep in mind that most solar installers in Derby have a preferred solar panel manufacturer. So, if you’re particular about the brand, you should take the time to compare multiple quotes first.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
An average home in WA has 6.6 kW PV panels with a 5 kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
We also recommend you size up where possible due to the rapid electrification in Australia that will impact your future energy needs. When you buy a bigger solar system initially, you can save more money in the long run. This will also be a good move if you plan to purchase a solar battery or an electric vehicle.
Solar rebates and incentives in Derby, WA
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
Households and businesses with renewable energy sources are eligible to receive STCs. These can be traded in exchange for a huge discount on the upfront cost of your solar system.
Feed-in Tariff (FiT)
FiTs are provided to homeowners for ever kWh of energy your solar system exports back into the grid. It is your solar installer who will set the FiT rate, which will reflect as a discount on your energy bills.
The right solar system in Derby
There are several factors to consider to ensure you get the right rooftop solar panels in Derby:
- Roof condition: An important thing to remember before you install solar panels in Derby is to ensure that your roof is in good condition.
- Roof angle: Ideally, the angle of your roof should be tilted at the same angle as the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: To determine the number of solar panels you need for your home, you need to get a clear idea of your average monthly energy consumption. You can get this information by looking into previous energy bills.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property or in your neighbour’s yard may cause shade that may impact the efficiency of your solar system. Trimming them down is a good option, whilst your solar installer in Derby will help you find the right location for your solar system.
In addition, your solar installer in Derby will design a system that will fit your roof and maximise its space.
We recommend seeking at least 3 solar quotes to ensure that you are getting the best deal and a solar installer whom you can trust. Energy Matters has done most of the hard work for you! We have a nationwide network of trusted, local installers who are ready to contact you and provide a quote. Get up to 3 FREE quotes via our solar quote service.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Derby?
When you have a solar battery in Derby, you can store excess energy from your rooftop solar panels and use it throughout the night, during blackout or on overcast days. Other benefits that you can get with a solar battery are:
- Energy independence: You can reduce your grid dependency when you have a solar battery in Derby. It can also make your home fully self-sufficient.
- Blackout protection: A solar battery, such as the Tesla Powerwall, will ensure you have power should there be a blackout.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can save you even more money and gain credits for sharing the stored power in your solar battery in Derby.
Today, you can choose from many brands and types of solar batteries in Derby.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Derby
Western Australia has subsidies in the form of a $59.1 million package, which includes $3,500 rebates for up to 10,000 buyers of new Battery-Electric vehicles (BEV) and Fuel-Cell Electric Vehicles (FCEV). Additionally, there is a $22.6 million investment in infrastructure to support EVs.
Under this new package, the first 10,000 West Australians to buy a sub-$70,000 BEV or FCEV will get a $3,500 rebate from the WA government. The WA government also nominated a yearly fuel saving of $1,400 for the average motorist who switches from combustion power to a zero-emissions vehicle.
There is also a $4 million fund for the Public Transport Authority to trial the installation of EV charging infrastructure that will provide up to 20 bays per car park with commuter charging access at four key stations. The remainder of $2.9 million will be used to install eight new charging stations along National Highway 1. By 2027, WA will introduce a new distance-based road user charge of 2.5c per kilometre for BEV and FCEV.
Finally, the government offers a $200 rebate for home-charging an EV or plug-in hybrid as part of the WA’s Home Plan incentive.
With the WA Government’s continuous efforts to reach net zero, more EV models will be launched. Here are the benefits of EVs:
- Lower costs: EVs are easier and more affordable to run and maintain.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia is on a mission to reach net-zero by 2050. You can be a part of this when you switch to an EV today.
- More economic opportunities: Australia is the biggest exporter of lithium in the world, and EV batteries are mainly made of lithium. Your EV can help maintain the lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Derby solar panels
For a mid-range home in Derby, the return on investment is around two to six years. Still, this will depend on your consumption and usage pattern. Nonetheless, the more you consume solar, the more you save on energy bills.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.