On This Page
Located in one of the major town centres in Lake Macquarie, Cardiff in New South Wales (NSW) is a small town that has everything you need. From recreational activities, to schools, and employment, living in this small town will accommodate all your needs.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Cardiff*
Total Installed Capacity in Cardiff (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Cardiff, NSW
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Cardiff, NSW by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Cardiff
Solar power is booming in Cardiff, with around 15 per cent of households here having rooftop solar panels installed. The town receives 4.8 hours of peak sun per day, which makes it a great spot for solar energy. That said, now is the perfect time to consider switching to solar.
The first thing to do is to find the right solar installer in Cardiff. However, with so many options to choose from, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. Energy Matters recommends you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers.
These manufacturers can honour their warranties and produce higher-quality solar panels. To know who they are, you can check out Bloomberg’s New Energy Finance Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list, which is updated every year.
In addition, most solar installers in Cardiff have a preferred solar panel manufacturer. This is the reason you should take the time to compare multiple quotes.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
Most homes in NSW have a solar system size of 6.6 kW with a 5 kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
Another recommendation we have is to get a bigger solar system initially. This is to prepare for the electrification in Australia that is happening rapidly, which will impact your future energy needs.
When you have a bigger solar system, you can accommodate your energy needs in the future, especially if you plan to buy a solar battery or an electric vehicle soon.
Solar rebates and incentives in Cardiff, NSW
The NSW government continues to make solar energy affordable with several rebates and incentives.
Swap for Solar
Low-income households in Cardiff may be eligible for a Swap for Solar that allows homeowners to swap their Low-Income Household Rebate for a 3kW solar system. This includes installation at zero costs.
Rebate swap for energy upgrades
If you’re not eligible for a Swap for Solar, you can get a rebate swap for energy upgrades instead. With this, you can get home energy assessments for home appliance upgrades up to $4,000.
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
When you have a solar system in Cardiff, you are entitled to get STCs. The value of an STC will vary based on the supply and demand in the market, and you can exchange this to get a discount on the cost of the installation of your solar system.
Feed-in Tariff (FiT)
When homeowners in Cardiff export excess energy back into the grid, they will receive FiTs. They are provided by energy retailers, who will set the FiT rates.
The right solar system in Cardiff
There are a few things you should consider to get the right solar system in Cardiff, NSW:
- Roof condition: Your roof should be in perfect condition before installing rooftop solar panels in Cardiff.
- Roof angle: Ideally, the angle of your roof must be tilted at the same angle as the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: To determine the number of solar panels you need in Cardiff, look into your previous energy bills to get a clear idea of your average monthly energy consumption.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property or in your neighbour’s yard may cause shade that will impact your solar system in Cardiff. Trimming them down is one thing you can do, whilst your solar installer in Cardiff will help find the right spot for your solar panels.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Cardiff, NSW?
If you have home battery storage in Cardiff, you can store energy generated by your solar system. With this, you can have power on overcast days, throughout the night or during blackouts. You can also get the benefits below:
- Energy independence: Reduce your grid dependency and make your home fully self-sufficient with a solar battery in Cardiff.
- Blackout production: Solar batteries, like the Tesla Powerwall, you can have power even during blackouts.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can see you saving even more money. It will allow you to receive credits for sharing the power stored by your battery back to the grid.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Cardiff
The NSW Government is also making EVs more affordable by reducing their upfront costs. For the first 25,000 eligible EVs sold, NSW residents can get $3,000 rebates. However, the EV should have a dutiable value of less than $68,750. Combined with the abolition of stamp duty, consumers can up to $5,540.
Here are the benefits of EVs:
- Lower costs: EVs are more affordable to run and maintain. With this, you can save more money when you have an EV.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia aims to reach net zero by 2050. You can participate in this by switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Australia is the largest lithium exporter in the world. EV batteries are mainly made of lithium. Therefore, when you get an EV, you get to support the Australian lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Cardiff solar panels
A mid-range home in Cardiff can see a return on investment between two and six years. However, it’s essential to consider your energy consumption and usage pattern.
Our professional solar installers Bowral will assess and determine your energy needs. We customise a solar panel system in Cobar to fit the roof size of your properly, ensuring you receive the most suitable a solar panel system for your Penrith home, meeting to property’s energy requirements.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free solar quote and find out what payment plan options are available.