On This Page
A beautiful seaside town located in the south coast of New South Wales (NSW), Kiama is well-known for its beaches, volcanic rock formations, and blowholes. No wonder it’s a popular holiday destination for families and individuals who are looking for a laidback atmosphere in this part of Australia.
Total Installed Solar PV Systems in Kiama*
Total Installed Capacity in Kiama (kW)*
*As of August 2022
Average solar production in Kiama, NSW
The following data shows the average daily solar PV production by month in Kiama, NSW by a solar PV system. The data is based on a 6kW solar PV system in kilowatt-hours (kWh) rounded to the nearest whole number.
Compare solar panels in Kiama
Solar energy is popular in the whole country, and it has now reached Kiama, with over 15 per cent of homes installing rooftop solar panels. This is also due to the fact that the town receives 4.8 hours of peak sun per day, which makes solar energy worthwhile.
When planning to go solar in Kiama, you need to take the time to find the right solar installer. Indeed, with the boom of solar energy in the nation, there are now plenty of solar installers in Kiama to choose from. And we get it; it can be overwhelming.
Energy Matters recommends you choose Tier 1 solar panel manufacturers because they produce higher-quality solar panels and honour their warranties.
You can check out Bloomberg’s New Energy Finance Tier 1 PV Module Manufacturer list, that is updated every year.
Take note that most solar installers in Kiama have a preferred solar panel manufacturer. Therefore, if you are particular about the brand, it’s really important you take the time to gather multiple quotes first.
Also, to help you with your search, Energy Matters has established solid partnerships with trusted and reliable solar panel manufacturers. They are:
Start your solar journey here with us by getting up to 3 FREE, no-obligation quotes. We have a large network of trusted, local installers to provide you with personalised quotes for a solar system to meet your current and future needs.
Most homes in NSW have a solar system size of 6.6 kW with a 5 kW inverter. You can install up to 33 per cent more panels than the inverter is rated at.
We recommend getting a bigger solar system initially. This is in consideration of the rapid electrification in the country. By getting a bigger solar system as early as now, you can better accommodate your future energy needs as the whole country gradually transitions to renewable energy.
This is also a great idea if you plan to buy a solar battery or an electric vehicle soon.
Solar rebates and incentives in Kiama, NSW
The NSW government continues to make solar energy more affordable through rebates and incentives. They are the following:
Swap for Solar
Low-income households in Kiama may be eligible for a Swap for Solar that lets homeowners swap their Low-Income Household Rebate for a 3kW solar system. This also includes installation at zero cost.
Rebate swap for energy upgrades
If you’re not eligible for a Swap for Solar, you can get a rebate swap for energy upgrades instead. As a result, you will get home energy assessments for home appliance upgrades up to $4,000.
Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs)
When you have a solar system in Kiama, you can get STCs. STCs are tradeable in exchange for a discount on the upfront installation cost of your solar system. However, the value of an STC will depend on the supply and demand in the market. Still, with STCs, you get a chance to save more money.
Feed-in Tariff (FiT)
You can get FiTs from your energy retailer when you export excess energy back into the grid. It is your energy retailer who will set the FiT rate.
The right solar system in Kiama
You need to consider a few important things to ensure you get the right solar system in Kiama, NSW.
- Roof condition: Your roof should be in perfect condition before you install rooftop solar panels in Kiama.
- Roof angle: Ideally, the angle of the roof should be tilted at the same angle as the latitude of your home’s location.
- Energy consumption: To determine the number of solar panels you need, you need to know how much energy you consume every month. You can get this information by looking into your previous energy bills.
- Surrounding shade: Trees on your property may cause shade that will impact your solar panel efficiency. You can trim them down, whilst your solar installer in Kiama will help you find the perfect spot for your solar system.
Do you need a solar storage battery in Kiama, NSW?
When you have a home solar battery storage in Kiama, you can store energy generated by your rooftop solar panels. In turn, you can guarantee that you will have power on overcast days, throughout the night or during blackouts.
Other benefits that you can get when you have a solar battery in Kiama are:
- Energy independence: You can reduce your grid dependency and even make your home fully self-sufficient when you have a solar battery in Kiama.
- Blackout protection: The Tesla Powerwall is among the many solar batteries available for you today. With a battery, you can have power even during blackouts.
- Cost savings: Participating in a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) can see you saving even more money. It will let you receive credits for sharing the power stored by your battery.
Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Kiama
The NSW Government is also making EVs more affordable by reducing their upfront costs. For the first 25,000 eligible EVs sold, NSW residents can get $3,000 rebates. However, the EV should have a dutiable value of less than $68,750. Combined with the abolition of stamp duty, consumers can up to $5,540.
Here are the benefits of EVs:
- Lower costs: EVs are more affordable to run and maintain. With this, you can save more money when you have an EV.
- Help meet the country’s emissions target: Australia aims to reach net zero by 2050. You can participate in this by switching to an EV.
- More economic opportunities: Australia is the largest lithium exporter in the world. EV batteries are mainly made of lithium. Therefore, when you get an EV, you get to support the Australian lithium industry.
Are you ready to make your next car an EV? Book a test drive today!
The return on investment on Kiama solar panels
A mid-range home in Kiama can see a return on investment between two and six years. However, it’s essential to consider your energy consumption and usage pattern.
Get rooftop solar panels in Bermagui. Energy Matters has a nationwide network of trusted local solar installers in Castle Hill that you can access today that can provide you with up to 3 Free Solar Quotes. Complete our quick quiz and switch to solar in Parkes today.
Can’t afford to switch right Now?
If you don’t have the finances for solar right now, don’t let that stop you! Solar is an excellent investment. Many of our trusted solar installers now offer $0 upfront interest-free loans where you can pay off your system in small monthly instalments. You only need to request an obligation-free quote and find out what payment plan options are available.