In great news for Victorians looking for a solar and battery storage solution, the Victorian Government has announced that eligibility criteria for the Solar Battery Rebate has been relaxed. Previously, home or business owners had to wait until they had rooftop solar panels installed before being able to access the $3500 battery rebate – but now applicants can arrange to have their solar PV panels and battery installed at the same time.
In a statement, Minister for Solar Homes Lily D’Ambrosio said the changes will make it easier for more households to reap the benefits of combining a battery with solar PV as part of their home energy system
“We have listened to industry and Victorians. Increasingly, people want to bundle a new solar PV system with a battery or upgrade their solar to maximise the return from their battery,” D’Ambrosio said.
“It’s another way we are putting power in the hands of Victorian to help them save money and reduce emissions.”
Solar Batteries Gain Momentum
Launched in 2020, the Solar Battery Rebate has already been accessed by over 4000 Victorians looking to rely less on the traditional energy grid.
With summer fast approaching, now is the perfect time to consider installing rooftop solar panels in Victoria – and with the addition of a solar battery, owners will be able to more than double their solar-generated electricity self-consumption. This means hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars more in their pocket every year.
Solar battery owners can charge their battery at times of the day when grid electricity is cheaper, or install a system designed to provide backup during a power outage. With feed-in tariffs at historic lows, export tariffs (“sun-tax”) on the cards in the not-too-distant future, and a surge in Electric Vehicle (EV) interest and sales, investing in battery storage has never been more appealing.
If Victorians aren’t yet ready to invest in a battery, there are still federal and state rebates and incentives available for solar panels and solar hot water systems. You can find the latest information on solar panels and batteries in Victoria on our dedicated page.
Over 10 years, the Victorian government’s $1.3 billion Solar Homes program intends to install solar panels, solar hot water systems, or batteries on 770,000 homes across the state.
5 Quick Solar Battery Facts 2021
- Most batteries are priced between $8k and $12k, and the payback period may extend beyond the warranty period of 10 years. However, rebates will improve the ROI.
- Some home battery models will provide backup power during blackouts and load shedding – these batteries are also an effective solution for homes that experience frequent outages on the grid. Make sure you discuss this option with your installer.
- If you’re adding a new system entirely, you might want to consider getting a hybrid inverter like the FIMER REACT 2, rather than separate solar and battery inverters.
- Solar batteries are available for homes with both grid connect and stand-alone systems. Solar batteries can be installed as a retrofit or with a new solar system.
- 50% of Australias are looking to invest in Electric Vehicles in the next 5 years, making solar batteries a more viable investment
If you want to learn more about solar panels and battery installation in Australia or would like a free quote, our solar power and battery storage calculator is simple to use! Just enter your postcode and average daily power consumption in kWh. The solar calculator will then generate useful estimated performance information and potential savings. We can then send this information to up to 3 trusted local installers in your area to receive free, obligation-free quotes.